Icotec GC-500

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IMG_4923.JPG

I was in the market for a new electric caller my current model/brand just never did really impress me results wise. As a result lost all faith in it and mainly used hand calls the last few years. That said, I missed the coyote vocals that were lethal on Yotes in my area back when I had my old JS tape caller system.

Cost wasn't a huge factor, when you invest thousands in thermal and NV most every electric caller out there seems cheap I guess.

Size and weight was a huge factor I carry my gear in a pack often several miles per trip.

upgradeable sounds and sound quality another huge factor for me.

Loudness not a huge factor I hunt timber county with hayfields mixed in no western type open stuff here.

Feature wise I like simple easy to use on/off stuff. I don't have a need for anything fancier.

I almost bought the new WT Atom caller $500+ with over 120 of WT famous sounds said to be some of the top sounds in the industry. That said at 7lbs of weight I had to pass, not mobile enough for me maybe a good truck/UTV caller.

I took a chance on the newest model Icotec GC-500 and loaded it with extra MFK and Tony Tebbe sounds which are a good upgrade for the cost.

Remote range is awesome I've used it out past 150 yards and construction wise its solid for it's cost. Sound quality is 8.5-9 out of 10 very clear lower/mid volume levels with a bit of static max volume on power up only. About the same as the lower/mid level foxpro's clarity wise. Volume is perfect for me its not a big horn speaker system so don't expect that type of volume from the caller.

I found programming new sounds fairly easy also a huge plus as I'm not a IT computer type guy. I just watched the ICOTEC programing youtube video and followed it.

Overall, the GC-500 was been calling critters very well for me and restored my faith to carry a electric caller with me again. I think this caller is a great value for under $180 base unit with 24 sounds and I've had better results with it than my caller costing twice as much.

I think a lot my success has to do with the Tony Teebe and MFK sounds I added as they have hammered my local yotes lately. The MFK coyote duet, black out howl's and Tony Teebe coyote challenge, and male coyote announcing have all about got me ran over by charging yotes looking for a fight. The MFK briar rabbit, Tony Teebe cottontail candy and baby cottontail have all called several critter and yotes. Its been a lot of fun having them come in fast to the caller.

That's all I have for now on this model hope it helps someone else in the market for a E caller. For the cost its really solid I don't claim to match up to a 500+ caller construction wise but it will call critters,has great remote range, very good sound quality and is up-gradable to 200 sounds all for less than $180 nothing wrong with that in my book.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the fox pro and they work well...never heard of the ones you mentioned, glad it worked for you.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep these callers kind of remind me of the mid level fox pros with just a few less features. They are pretty basic on/off on the main unit with a external speaker plug if needed. The remote range however is insane, we tested it out to 275+ yards open field it worked perfect!

I like the remote operation also the slide switch on side on/off, a button that will back light the LCD red for night but turns off after the buttons are pushed for several seconds (nice because you don't have to worry about a critter seeing Red LCD at night while the remote is still powered on) , easy to scroll through call list plus 6 stored favorite sounds, easy to control volume plus it displays volume number on remote. It basically has all the basic stuff you need on the remote.

They make these with built in decoy system also maybe not a bad idea to have. That said I didn't like the added weight/bulk of it, I'm trying to keep my gear packable.

Overall, I'm pretty darn impressed with this unit especially for $179 shipped (It feels and operates like a $300+ caller). For folks looking for a good solid caller that sounds great and can't spend three, four or even five hundred plus this maybe for you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Terry sounds good. My only problem with the fox pro is the remote and not being able to read it without my readers to ID the sounds so I rarely use it...I hate the older remotes and have not tried the new ones