I need input on thermal

JuCo..

I'm considering buying a thermal monocular to use by hand as a spotter at night. I have a gen 3p clip on I will be using to shoot. I was hoping to spend no more than $2500.

Thoughts?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not a lot of options at that price. I'd spend a little more and get an L3 X330. I prefer it over the FLIR because you can change the batteries. Just my .02

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only thing I know of in that range is the new pulsar monocular and the jury is still out on those. I looked through one this weekend It did not compare to the IR Patrol or the Prometheus but then its just for spotting right??? Guess the only thing I would worry about is longevity with the pulsar its just unkown.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Save your money and try to look through as many as you can. Then make your decision.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got a Q14 recently....it's worth the money. Have already killed hogs that I would have never seen with the scope. Works great while riding on 4 wheeler. Spotted hogs in brush that would have missed if I would have been using the scope every few min.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The q14 is 3 times his budget. It very well could be worth the money but I think for a "spotter" that something like the L3 X320 or the FLIR PS32(not a fan of these because of internal battery) is a better option for most.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Listed pricing for x320 is usually $3,499 ... calling around could probably get something decently lower, maybe $3k? So that would be within reach of his budget. So I agree with Eric, this is what I'd be looking at.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I generally carry the x320 and sell them around $3050. It is my favorite "budget" thermal spotter due to its size, weight, price, and controls. Like Eric, I'm not a fan of the FLIR PS series for many reasons. I just ordered a few Pulsar HD19A's and plan to do some extensive comparisons between the X320 and the 19's. The price of the Pulsar units is certainly attractive....as long as the rest adds up in the long run.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i use the 320 for spotting and favor it for the same reason Eric does plus it does give me a good pic. DO NOT go in the field without spare batteries. Once they start to go they seem to go quickly. The Energizer Lithiums are the best batteries I have found. They give me almost twice the use as the next closest. I use a LWTS to shoot and seldom take it off the rifle.

Delta's price on the 320 is very good. I have had mine now for over two years and paid about K more, when they came out.