I had my mind made up but.....need help

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I had my heart set on a Pulsar trail XQ50 for my DPMS 308 but reality is setting in. I am only able to hog hunt 10 days a year so is 3700 to much to spend? The Apex XQ looks like its the same image quality but it runs on cr123 batteries and wont record internally. My question is, will I be happy with an Apex? How long do batteries last in it? I currently use an Armasight CO QS HD on a Swaro Z3. Thanks

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Think of it this way. If you spend $20,000 on a fishing boat and only get to go 10 or 15 times a year, would you think it was worth it? Especially on the days that you are fishing.

cajun bob

LSB Member
I don't hog hunt that much either. But my XQ50 Trail serves double duty. When it's not on my hog rifle it's on my HW100 .22 cal. air rifle. Killed five rats recently the other night. My motto; put out the cheese and they will come. Not to mention a couple of coons and an armadillo. So my suggestion is to spend even more money and buy a quality air rifle and use your XQ50 a lot more often.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I don't hog hunt that much either. But my XQ50 Trail serves double duty. When it's not on my hog rifle it's on my HW100 .22 cal. air rifle. Killed five rats recently the other night. My motto; put out the cheese and they will come. Not to mention a couple of coons and an armadillo. So my suggestion is to spend even more money and buy a quality air rifle and use your XQ50 a lot more often.
Hahahahaha. It would be cheaper to smuggle hogs into Pa and let them loose to breed and wreak havoc so i can use the Trail more

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd suggest downgrading to the Trail xq38 before downgrading to the apex line. The added features are worth it IMO. Extended rechargeable battery life, internal video recording, stream the view straight to your phone, and 3 different zero options, for 3 different guns. Those upgrades are worth a few hundred extra bucks to me.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I called Todd and talked to him and he sold me an Apex. The Apex was $1000 less than the trail. Ill buy a mini dvr eventually and still be ahead of the game. Its my first thermal and hopefully will last me a long time. I agree with buy once cry once but for a once a year rifle setup i think i spent a good amount. I appreciate all the great info all gave!

ScottJ

LSB Member
I have an Apex XD38. Great thermal. My neighbor has the RXQ30V and it's pretty darn good too. If you want the bells and whistles, you'll pay for them. If you just want a decent thermal to go hunt and don't care to send video to a smart phone... save the $$. My Apex stores 3 aiming settings, so it can be swapped onto 3 different guns easily. Only downside of the Apex is the knob on the right side. Easy to bump it and mess up the contrast and brightness settings unintentionally. I took off that knob, put a small piece of rubber vacuum hose on the metal stem, and cut out the center of a gatorade cap which I then glued over the middle stem as a sort of guard. I can reach in with my finger tips to change settings, but it doesn't get bumped now. Also, I made 12.6v battery packs with 3 18650 cells for about $5 each. They use cheap 5.5mm x 2.1mm male plugs and connect right to the included cable with the Apex scope. A charger for the packs was under $10 online. I don't hunt all night, but one battery lasts all of the night I do hunt. The internal small batteries don't last long.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I have an Apex XD38. Great thermal. My neighbor has the RXQ30V and it's pretty darn good too. If you want the bells and whistles, you'll pay for them. If you just want a decent thermal to go hunt and don't care to send video to a smart phone... save the $$. My Apex stores 3 aiming settings, so it can be swapped onto 3 different guns easily. Only downside of the Apex is the knob on the right side. Easy to bump it and mess up the contrast and brightness settings unintentionally. I took off that knob, put a small piece of rubber vacuum hose on the metal stem, and cut out the center of a gatorade cap which I then glued over the middle stem as a sort of guard. I can reach in with my finger tips to change settings, but it doesn't get bumped now. Also, I made 12.6v battery packs with 3 18650 cells for about $5 each. They use cheap 5.5mm x 2.1mm male plugs and connect right to the included cable with the Apex scope. A charger for the packs was under $10 online. I don't hunt all night, but one battery lasts all of the night I do hunt. The internal small batteries don't last long.
Great info. Thanks!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Latest map that I saw,hogs were already in Pa. Unknown weather the state considers the numbers a "huntable amount" or not. --- pruhdlr

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Latest map that I saw,hogs were already in Pa. Unknown weather the state considers the numbers a "huntable amount" or not. --- pruhdlr
They are supposed to be in S Jersey as well yet no one has seen them or caught any on trail cams. In pa they are on high fence hunting preserves and once in a while i read an article from game comission that some escaped. I like my buddies farms in Ga its no limit shoot em up good time. Great way to stretch out my rifles

09tacoma

I just purchased an apex xq50 and love it it wasn’t worth the extra grand for rechargeable battery and internal video. So far I love it battery life hasn’t been bad at all and they are way cheaper on amazon.

ScottJ

LSB Member
Oh yes, speaking of video... I have a small digital video recorder I bought straight from China off the ebay. Was like $60. Works great, but not high def. Lots of ways to save money except when buying the actual scope.

Jeff Sweazea

I bought the Pulsar XQ38 from Down Range Thermals out of Lakeway, TX. He included an external battery pack for around $2100 (we got a little discount because my buddy also bought the XQ50). I ended up adding an external DVR (probably around $100). For the price, I highly recommend it.