I gotta start getting closer

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm up in Burleson County this weekend. The normal hunting is going on. We have a picnic table 150 or so yards from a feeder. I like sitting there and watching. In the past I've shot hogs from there with no problems. Here lately it seems I knock them right down only to have them get up and leave. We usually find them the next morning with the help of the buzzards. This place is really thick with brush and trying to find them in the dark is very difficult. Two nights ago right at dark I shot the lead sow in a group of about ten. She went down and was squealing her ass off. I knew something was not right, but she was kicking up so much dust I couldn't get another in her. She took off like a rocket. I located buzzards the next day, but did not go off in the crap they were in.

Moral of the story is, if its right at dark when the day scope is getting worthless and its too bright for NV is to get closer if possible.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing worse than knowing you made a good hit, but not able to recover. Buzzards eating the first cuts... just ain't right. LOL

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always try to get as close as possible. That's the fun part!! Well that and shooting them

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always try to get as close as possible. That's the fun part!! Well that and shooting them

I agree with HD the stalk is almost as fun as the shooting!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah the last two it was right at dark and no way to get closer without getting busted. I need to quit being so lazy and get close like I used too. Either that or set me a chair up about half way with the bog pod sticks.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do like long range though, but it aint working out well for me right now. LOL

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like long range also but to me that is 600+ yards. At night I like to see how close I can get. After the corn is cut the farmer will bale the stalk. We have used the bales for cover and killed a few pigs with pistols at less than 20 yards :D

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd love to stick a pig with my longbow.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
set up another table closer and maybe w a little cover..what ammo?

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I'm up in Burleson County this weekend. The normal hunting is going on. We have a picnic table 150 or so yards from a feeder. I like sitting there and watching. In the past I've shot hogs from there with no problems. Here lately it seems I knock them right down only to have them get up and leave. We usually find them the next morning with the help of the buzzards. This place is really thick with brush and trying to find them in the dark is very difficult. Two nights ago right at dark I shot the lead sow in a group of about ten. She went down and was squealing her ass off. I knew something was not right, but she was kicking up so much dust I couldn't get another in her. She took off like a rocket. I located buzzards the next day, but did not go off in the crap they were in.

Moral of the story is, if its right at dark when the day scope is getting worthless and its too bright for NV is to get closer if possible.

720nm IR filter will cut out some of the light and the NV at dusk and dawn works fine or switch to thermal :D

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
set up another table closer and maybe w a little cover..what ammo?
I'm still shooting my 223 with the 64 grain bonded Nosler. Did some checking yesterday and I may have loaded up some brass that has not been trimmed correctly. I'm getting patterns, not groups. I'll load some more up today.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that is why I shoot a 6.8 for hogs...lol

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm still shooting my 223 with the 64 grain bonded Nosler. Did some checking yesterday and I may have loaded up some brass that has not been trimmed correctly. I'm getting patterns, not groups. I'll load some more up today.

If you can shoot a Rorschach instead of a group, then you might have a problem.

In regard to the proximity notions noted above, I too like to get close, but close for me is the first distance I can take a good shot under the circumstances. It may be 30 yards or may be 170 yards. Where I usually hunt, a spooked hog is gone into the brush usually within 2-3 seconds, often quicker.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't mind them running off so much now unless it's a big hog.
Just that much less I have to drag off!
Even though for some reason they never run off once a 120 sst has blessed them..o_O

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't know if I would like thermal. I like clarity in my optics. Was thinking about a dedicated NV scope and a thermal mono for scanning. I already have the PVS14 for stalking. I will put this on my 6.8 though. I'm thinking 120 grains has got to give me more thump than 64. LOL

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since you already have a Pvs 14, an EoTech is a lot cheaper than a dedicated night vision scope...

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you can shoot a Rorschach instead of a group, then you might have a problem.

In regard to the proximity notions noted above, I too like to get close, but close for me is the first distance I can take a good shot under the circumstances. It may be 30 yards or may be 170 yards. Where I usually hunt, a spooked hog is gone into the brush usually within 2-3 seconds, often quicker.

Yeah Brian I was getting about 3" groups from a rifle that normally shoots 1/2". I had to mortar a couple loaded rounds out of the chamber. Cleaned the chamber and still tight. I got rid of the remaining 14 rounds and will load up some more. First time I've ever done this and I have been reloading for 40 years.

About the proximity issue. The would have busted if I tried to get closer. Like I said I've killed them from there before with no problems. I did not realize my scope was hitting 2" high and 2" right. She was facing me with her head down. I tried to shoot her in the head neck joint. I had to have hit her in her left shoulder. That would explain the drag marks in the sand.

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Since you already have a Pvs 14, an EoTech is a lot cheaper than a dedicated night vision scope...

I don't like non magnified scopes either. I'm real picky about precision. I've shot some decent groups with them and AimPoints. I just prefer magnification. I'm thinking about Idents 4x NV recoil rated scope.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is my retirement gift to myself. Some sort of dedicated scope. Be it thermal, NV or a clip on. If I go with NV, I will get a thermal mono. Suppressor for my 6.8. After that I should be good for a while. LOL