I dropped one of my PVS-14s and...

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It is destroyed, the adjustable gain knob broke off and now there is a huge black spot in the middle of the tube when turned on. Hopefully it can be fixed. I just got my shiny new dual PVS-14 helmet mount and the damn thing just fell off the mount and onto my tile floor.

I hate life right now...

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I feel for you. Strange how they can hold up to recoil but not a 5 foot drop.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh man, that sucks, sorry, I cannot imagine how you must feel.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Feeling like a total dumba** at the moment.

Kinda ironic I get a dual mount for the two PVSs and one immediately gets destroyed.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Gonna call Ident in the morning. I pray they can fix this. Worst case scenario I leave with a new PVS-14 and a gaping hole in my wallet.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was it not attached properly? Did the whole mount fall off or just the 14? I would be sick....

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Was it not attached properly? Did the whole mount fall off or just the 14? I would be sick....

It was properly attached. I was wearing the helmet walking around the house checking out the greatness that is dual PVS 14s. I pressed the button to swing the PVSs up in the stowed position and I must have hit the release button to relase te PVS 14. The release button and the mount swing I guess are close enough to inadvertantly hit the other.

Honestly, it is all just kind of a blur. I dont really remember what I did i went into straight panic mode.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
That sucks big time!
Get a used tube and be done with it, $hit happens :(

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a little late but, get the tether for anything on a helmet.

Wilson's release mechanism has a major design flaw, and you just proved it.

Sorry for your loss.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well as it turns out it may appear that my Dual mount is not working properly. I have replicated the problem of the tube falling out of the mount three times now. Of course this time I did it while sitting down on carpet. When I press the button on the G24 helmet mount and raise the tubes up the tubes become disengaged and fall out of the mount. I made damn sure not to press the tube release button and they still come loose.

It happens randomly. I have swung it up and down repeatedly, probably 40 times so far, and one of the two disengages three times so far

Interesting...

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Sorry man. Hopefully something works out and it doesn't end up costing u big

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's not a good day. Hopefully they don't charge too much to fix it

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I use the MOD D-14 dual mount almost exclusively. The only problem is, the release button is really close to the raise/lower button on my mount. I dropped mine on the tile in the bathroom as well. Get you some nylon coated fishing leader and put it on the j-arms. This will ensure they never hit the floor. It works great for cap retention and lanyards as well.
jEhSycq.jpg

ZQEvBjg.jpg

jK3I802.jpg

yDVItsn.jpg

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
By the way, welcome to the world of dual tube night vision, it rocks! One tip, counterweight your helmet and it will be much more comfortable. One thing I brought home from the service with me was the idea that carrying weight for no reason is silly. Thus, I am not a fan of these $100+ lead helmet weights you see for sale. We were issued PVS-15's which were heavy, so we used a dual mag pouch on the back of the helmet with two loaded glock 19 mags as a counterweight. It works perfectly for dual 14's as well, and you have weight that is actually useful for more than just being a weight. It kind of looks bulky in pictures but is really not bad.
YKLQk1b.jpg

LIKettC.jpg

Sorry for the overload of pictures. I just got a new computer that is actually fast enough to allow me to copy and paste links from imgur. I got a little excited and carried away. My bad!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Verdict is in...

The tube is destroyed and will need a new one. The mount was good to go. I learned an important lesson with dovetail mounts that I was not used to with the other style. That is to give it a good tug to make sure that it seats fully. If not, it may appear to be seated when its not and tragedy will shortly follow.

As always the guys at Ident helped me out and gave me a loaner tube for the time being as we wait on suitable tubes to replace my broken one. So I will be able to use the dual mount in the field this weekend for some hog killing.

Now I just need to make sure these things are tethered and dont come crashing down again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man oh man. hard lessons learned.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well at least you don't have to buy the housing too. Would have been nice it just the housing broke and not the expensive harder to get part.

I still give a good tug when I mount mine on the standard mount because it has come off without warning but fortunately I was sitting in my truck and it fell in my lap. Still my heart dropped when it came flying away from my eye.