I am thinking about getting a cross bow

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never shot one and no knowledge of what to buy except it needs to be easy to reload or load the first time. I am in leaning mode. Please enlighten me Thanks!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of the heavier draw are now cocked with a hand crank winch like tool, doesn't have to be the old "stand on the foot hoop and heave up on the bow string."

The latest (read expensive) intrigue me, with the reversed limbs. Release of the bolt should be VERY light in the felt recoil (so to speak).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are LOUD! like a gunshot, up to 60yds or so and in FL can be used during bow season..just a way for us to extend the hunting season along w muzzle loaders

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like the Xcalibur 335 Micro. This is the one I'm looking at. The plus is it has an optional crank and it has rails to attach thermal. Should be fun.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a simple Barnett jackal and I love it. Nothing fancy but it works and gets the job done. I bought it so I could hunt archery season here in Florida. Now I hunt all 3 seasons and get far more time in the woods.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I,think due my back issues I will need to crank to load it or is there another option besides using a for lack of a better word a pulling rope? What kind of bolts are you using for deer. I have seen a broad head and another that looks like a mechanical head that opens up as it is shot. It looks pretty deadly.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With my back issues I will need some sort of crank to load. What bolts are you using for deer broad head or I,have seen a mechanical head that open up once shoot. I have seen on YouTube they are loud with a hard crack.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There was a lot of public uproar in Texas several years ago when we began allowing them for game animals because some said it was cheating and people though deer were going to get killed with crossbows at 100+ yards during archery only season.

Fast forward several years and we have come to find that public hunters with crossbows are usually no more successful than conventional archers regardless of the bow being used and average range is around the same as well, regardless of the bow used.

The biggest complaint heard is animals jumping from string noise resulting in either a bad shot or clean miss. Apparently, like Frank pointed out already, they are quite noisy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is what I have seen in videos from others too is the animal, especially deer jumping the string..plus I can count on 1 hand the times I have a deer within 40 yards of me during deer season and I have fingers left. That is precisely why I have not bought one as of yet.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have Easton carbon bolts with a broadhead. I also have mechanical broadheads but haven't used then in anything yet. I'm going to try them this year for archery season

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So,far I like the Mission due to small cranking device. The Barret looks good but cranking devise looks complicated. Still looking. I am working on a off ground hide 30 ft from my feeding ground. I am geeting bids to,build on 3 trees and stairs just inside my woods. Will see how it goes.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Will go after lunch to hold a Mission crossbow. They are made by Matthews and from what I have seen they are an amazing bow company. Will advise.