Hunting from pop up blind

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Hunting from pop up blind next weekend. I just bought a new Ameristep Caretaker hub blind. How close to the sour corn bait should I be able to set up? I will set it so that the wind is perpendicular to my shooting lane. Also, is there a good homemade shooting rest design that I can throw together?
I will be in the Nueces river bottom at night using a mounted green light.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Depends on how far you can see clearly with your light/scope combo. 60 - 100 yds should be do-able without scaring off potential targets. I made a quick easy bi-pod with two green tomato stakes and some bungee cord. You can wrap the top 5 or 6 inches with tape or find the suitable diameter rubber tubing to protect your weapon and make it quieter. Hope you get to kill something.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have used popup blinds a lot. I have 2 of them. The one is getting rough but I should use them more. 30 seconds to set up once you get good at it. First time ever using one in Kansas a deer rubbed up against it. They block most of your scent! I even had turkeys that wouldn't come in all the way and I convinced my buddy to pick up the blind and we would walk to the turkeys. He said I was crazy but we did it and walked right up to them from over a hundred yards away. Looked funny but popup blinds rock!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
anyone use the chair blind?

$_57.JPG

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Put a jet pack on it and I'm all in!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just wear a leafy bug suit and comfy camp chair

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That ladder stand I have been using didn't have a chair or seat. I guess it was just for standing there. I bought a seat from a flea market that was off a exercise bicycle and bolted it on there. After about 30 minutes my legs go numb, it's really bad.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 1 ladder stand, has a nice double seat, the rest of the blinds have office chairs in them.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We just use portable stools over some of our corn feeders. Generally place them in the same location facing the feeder each time and only hunt them with specific winds. Seats are positioned with trees behind them, or in front of bushes to hide our outline.

One location in particular is only 40 yards from the feeder, just can't get any farther away. Never had a hog see us, but have had deer spot us sitting on the ground.

I admit that I would prefer to use a tree stand or blind when hunting a corn feeder because you are totally at the mercy of the wind when sitting on the ground in the open like I described above.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like to hide while squatting in the corner and covering my eyes. My niece said they can't see u that way

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like to hide while squatting in the corner and covering my eyes. My niece said they can't see u that way
True. If you close your eyes then nothing can see you regardless of where you sit.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Update:
I ended up getting the Ameristep `care taker` pop up blind. It's great. We hunted hogs in south Texas last weekend. I had gone down 2 weekends ago to refill feeders and put out sour corn in hopes that would get the hogs coming in when we returned last weekend. It worked. My game came had pigs showing up all week. They came in Fri night but did not get a shot due to lighting issues and hesitation b the pigs. The next night the Nueces river swelled and actually flooded my feeder area while I watched from the pop up. A buddy hunting nearby took a 230 lb boar just before his feeder area flooded. The hogs were very hesitant and never would commit to feeding on the corn. Of course they were simply escaping the rising river water. We were never in any danger from the flood waters. Going back end of the month. I plan to hunt from the pop up from now on. Lots of room.
The girth on my friends hog measured 43 inches with a cloth tape pulled tight.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, glad ya'll got something..water should be going down?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good news, congrats to your friend. Your turn next.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pop-up blinds rock. Sounds like it worked out good. They can get a bit toasty in the sun tho.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That ladder stand I have been using didn't have a chair or seat. I guess it was just for standing there. I bought a seat from a flea market that was off a exercise bicycle and bolted it on there. After about 30 minutes my legs go numb, it's really bad.
Sorry Dan that is way funny.....