Hunting em when its hot

Shadow

It's not a lot of fun getting out when it's hot, but it can pay off. Hogs can't sweat to cool off. They will go to water to keep cool. When water is limited it can concentrate the pork. Get down wind from the water holes and slip up to them. Pay special attention to creeks with holes and under cut banks that hold water. The big holes left by wind thrown oaks are a good place to look too. Even if there is no water in them, it gives the hogs access to deeper, cooler soil to root into. Me and my buds have killed a lot of pigs this way , just pay attention to your body, and drink water constantly. I like to stuff my camel back with as much ice as it can hold and then fill with water. It helps keep me cool laying against the small if my back.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good info! I've literally walked within a few feet of hogs hunting like this. They looked like logs laying there until their tail twitched and gave them away!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm tempted to hive this a shot. I have been so night oriented I've forgotten the tricks for the daylight hours. Ill have to patrol the river bottom sometime.

JamesB74

LSB Member
Another trick for camelbacks is. Night before you go. Fill your camelback 1/3 full of water. Then lay flat in your freezer. Next morning take it out and fill it the rest of the way. Lasts for quite a while.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Country Time lemonade... good stuff on the cheap.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
During this time of the year it is common for hogs to crawl into our water troughs and take a bath since we only have two small "ponds". I use the term ponds loosely though as they are pretty measly. It is so hard to keep water in them due to the extreme heat and lack of rain fall.

We had to place steel cages over the floats in the troughs to keep the hogs from ripping it out to cause the troughs to overflow. These suckers are so smart they learned they could do this and create wallowing holes.

It is also pretty funny to see the coons swim in the troughs to. This action is punishable by death and no coon has escaped punishment when caught.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's how I got the sow last night sat watching one if the only filled ponds. She took her bath, then a dirt nap!

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was getting 30 pigs a day at my feeder all the way through May. As the heat has climbed they are getting fewer and fewer. Have not seen one over corn in two weeks. The only feeders they are coming to are the ones right by water and then it is early and late. I think we are going to try to stalk the creek bed next weekend. It has quit running but there are still holes of water here and there. Just tough to get to.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After 42" of rain in July, we have water everywhere, in fact so much it block the route the hogs take so they are hitting the feeders less often except for the ones nesting nearby. I expect to see more lone boars coming in for the sows who are coming into heat. I looks like I am raising my own herd that stays here all the time with the piglets who are getting BBQ size by now.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish we could get some of that rain here. Like you the pigs we are seeing are usually singles.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some of the same is happening at my spots, but it is more food source driven. They are staying in the cut winter wheat fields that border the river. They will hit the orchards hard again once the droppings from cutting the wheat are gone.

The orchards are bordered by the river, are irrigated, and have lots of green grass and bugs. The wheat droppings are easiest to get right now.