Hunt or Not Hunt Conditions

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Going through my hunters log just curious if you guys have conditions you absolutely love to hunt in and others you'd avoid.

Hunt
40% less moon
7-10 mph S or N wind
Cloudy or overcast

Not Hunt
Full moon
Winds -3 mph or +15mph
Direct east wind
Hard rain or any fog

Some of this is superstition others is just lack of seeing hogs. Just curious.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only sure way not to see anything is to stay home!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For thermal in the swamps and low lands of Fla. -->
60% or less moon. Overcast is best. We move around quit a bit using a Bad Boy Buggy and using no light except a very small low to the ground red light. We travel the narrow,sandy,club roads and farm roads.

Wind usually drops to zero at night. If there is a <5mph wind,it is usually swirling . The swamps are a mass of rotting wood and other debris. The air is usually thick and extremely oxygen enriched. Remember,when the air cools down it sinks. When it heats up it rises. Around hear at night,after 2200 the air is super dense. The relative humidity is usually >70%. Ground fog is "normal". I have seen it,even with light wind.

My style of hunting is pretty much different than the Texas guys. I would absolutely love the chance to look out over the vast expanses of the open fields of a cattle ranch. To stalk a sounder of 5-15 hogs from 200yds away would be a thing of beauty. Our hunting woods and what we have to do to hunt effectively is mostly not understood. Why we kill a limited number of hogs and yotes is for the most part,is not understood. Hey,it is what it is. We got what we got. But ..... we still have the most fun possible. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lightening and cold because I am apussy, any other time is a blessing to still be alive and in the field. The thick swamps and ground cover usually means 1 shot 1 kill. Have been invited to some deer and hog eradication's on farmland before planting and after harvest or when crops are low in N FL, I would assume that is more the TX style hunting and I love it...hope to do some while I am at the Forum gathering and see for myself! You know few people get to do what we do and I for one do not take it for granted!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMO --> extreme cold will not effect the hogs movement. Extreme heat wont either as long as there is available water around. I find that water wont either(so much)as long as the dew is heavy(which it always is here)and the hogs can rub up against the brush while moving around.

What will effect the normal movement,normal behavior,is strong gusty wind or driving rain. A normal drizzle ... they absolutely love. I would suspect also,like deer,and gentle snowfall would not concern them. Living in NW Fla. the last is just a guess. --- pruhdlr

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I try not to hunt on days that I cannot leave Houston