Hunt few weeks ago

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been a busy year with work but managed to get in some hunts here and there. My friend and I did some guiding earlier in the year but that's kind of tapered down with summer.

Pulled up to the ranch as it was getting dark and geared up. We checked a field behind the ranch house and saw hogs eating out of the cow feeder like they often do. Stalked up to them and counted down. Managed to take down 4 before they made it to the woods.

We started checking a few feeders but on the way I spotted a lone boar in a small field. We stalked up to him and I was going to shoot first. I squeezed the trigger but no bang ... I told my friend to go ahead and shoot but he missed. Turns out my friend had checked my rifle earlier to see if a round was chambered. Then he let the bolt ride home so it wasn't in battery. Oh well.

We drove to the back of the ranch and checked a small hay field. I spotted several hogs rooting around and we stalked up to them. They winded us and started to trot off, I fired 2 shots and downed 2 hogs but wasn't able to recover them. We started walking in the field to look but the grass was almost waist high and there were ruts that were 1 - 2 feet deep from hog rooting.

Bonus hog! We were driving down the ranch road that is about 1/2 mile long and spotted a hog just strolling down the same road. My friend stopped the truck and I handed a rifle to my other friend who was in sitting in the bed of the truck. The hog didn't spook too much, just paused and started walking away and my friend took a shot. Turns out it was a small sow.

7 hogs down ... only 4 pictured.
Thanks for reading!
FB_IMG_1469660682821.jpg 20160716_230420.jpg

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good work! Fun night

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hunting with friends!! Good times. Congrats.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs down!! Looking for wounded hogs in waist high grass is always fun!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going! That was a productive night.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a great hunt, nice job!