Howdy from Palo Pinto, Texas

Cam

20170924_081301.jpg Howdy folks, new hog hunter here. Shot my first wild pig on our ranch last weekend. Had been seeing him on a game cam every night and knew he was a big boar. Needed a proper pig rig so i bought a new T/C Compass in 6.5 creedmoor and mounted a vortex viper scope. Installed a motion activated light on the feeder and started waiting for him to show up. Finally showed up at 12:30am last Sunday and I had my ducks in a row with a clear shot. Got him in the base of the ear and he dropped instantly in his tracks. Really exciting stuff and looking forward to clearing out more of them as they are doing a number on the pastures.

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and congratulations on your first wild hog!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats and Welcome! Nice first hog!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice work.

Keep After 'Em!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the forum sir. Great hog also.
May I please ask how you like that Compass. They are on sale right now. Thinking about picking one up. --- pruhdlr

Cam

Pruhdlr, the Compass is a hellava rifle for the money. I picked it up for $225 after the $75 rebate they have on them right now. I have a steel plate at 300 yards and it shoots 3" groups with the cheapest creedmoor ammo I've found. Hard to believe they can produce that kind of accuracy at such a low price point.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah,Kentucky Gun Co has them pretty cheap right now.
Thanks for the response. --- pruhdlr

Cam

Yeah,Kentucky Gun Co has them pretty cheap right now.
Thanks for the response. --- pruhdlr

They have the best price for the creedmoor, but they are on back order. I got mine at sportsman outdoor superstore for $299, with free shipping.

The trigger was too stiff from the factory, but I got it under 3lbs by removing one of the lock nuts on the adjuster. It is excellent after that simple modification.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hi there! Lots of us here are ready to come help you if you need some more hunters to keep your pastures safe! LOL

Reactions: Cam

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
View attachment 5531 Howdy folks, new hog hunter here. Shot my first wild pig on our ranch last weekend. Had been seeing him on a game cam every night and knew he was a big boar. Needed a proper pig rig so i bought a new T/C Compass in 6.5 creedmoor and mounted a vortex viper scope. Installed a motion activated light on the feeder and started waiting for him to show up. Finally showed up at 12:30am last Sunday and I had my ducks in a row with a clear shot. Got him in the base of the ear and he dropped instantly in his tracks. Really exciting stuff and looking forward to clearing out more of them as they are doing a number on the pastures.
Pooch says "smells like bacon". Welcome Cam, just got here myself.

Cam

Pooch says "smells like bacon". Welcome Cam, just got here myself.

That's my boy Buddy. He doesn't like pigs, haha. Buddy is 75 lbs to give you some idea of size. Thinking this boar is about 275, but didn't have a scale to verify.