Howdy, From Houston

Discussion in 'New Member Intros!' started by Jack Houston, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Jack Houston

Jack Houston New Member

Well folks, here I am ready for some Hog Hunting! 70 years old and never had the chance to hunt any. Unless you count Javelinas in far West Texas when I was a Boy Scout and they would raid our camp at night. And that was self-defense armed with a single-shot youth model Winchester .22, I missed. It was DARK and chaotic!
    Anyway after shooting Cowboy Action for 13 years that got boring and expensive. Now I read about the feral hog problem, I would Love to Help. Been reading alot of articles, watched videos and still confused! Is a .223/5.56 big enuff for Hogs? All I have in a rifle caliber rifle. Any opinions welcome.

2. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Cowboy Action was expensive? Uhhhh… wait 'til you price thermal optics and all of these related toys. LOL Welcome to the fray. With the right bullet, a 5.56/.223 will get it done. Many like a little more snot behind it though.

Chopperdrvr likes this.
  3. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

4. Wellbornpapa

Wellbornpapa Grumpy old f*** SUS VENATOR CLUB

Welcome Jack. You might look at getting a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting hogs and deer. Use the 5.56 for practice.

5. J BAR K

J BAR K Just trying to make a day. SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Welcome! I’d vote for the 6.8SPC myself. Good round for hogs.

6. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Welcome!

.223/5.56 is enough for hogs if you are prudent with your shooting, but you would be better served with a larger caliber. I like 6.5 Grendel. Lots of folks here like 6.8 SPC II. There are a plethora of viable options.

7. MRB1

MRB1 New Member

I guess new members can welcome other new members - so WELCOME. I got you beat age wise by four years, but all that means is we have more life events to have enjoyed. You'll really enjoy the hog experience, and it is as expensive as you let it be. My first hog was hoisted on the meat pole 39 years ago, and it's every bit as much fun now as it was in the olden days. Hunting them is fun, but wait until the trapping bug bites !!!!!

lonepunman likes this.
  8. lonepunman

lonepunman LSB Active Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Glad you found us...

I am one of those to which Ratdog and Brian refer...

I prefer to have any caliber bullet heading downrange toward a hog to begin with the numeral 3.