Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Ignore DJ. It just took him 4 hours to watch 60 minutes... Not the brightest lightbulb but he is quite entertaining.

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to LSB. Any reason why you are wanting a NV scope? I've used both NV and thermal scopes and believe that a thermal scope works better. Nv is great for navigating and is better at target ID if you're looking to tell the difference between a spotted hog or solid color one but thermal has it beat with locating possible targets, faster follow ups and target ID has improved a lot with todays thermal technology.

So, you're saying I got it backwards then?

Mostly that idea comes from a relative who uses a thermal monocular to locate and then his NV scope to make the shot. I've not hunted with him so I don't know exactly how he is operating but I know that he likes holding the monocular for an extended period rather than the rifle.

I hear what you're saying though regarding follow ups especially.

I appreciate all the info and advice.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That depends on which level of NV you are going to start with and the type of hunting you are doing or want to do. Gen 3 NV is excellent for hunting and if that's all you can afford, you are not handicapped, just not fully equipped. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages. A wise person once advised me to start with a pvs14 and the parts and pieces to mount it on a weapon and a helmet. Next purchase was a thermal scanner. Those two items will allow you to be mobile or stationary which ever the situation dictates and be very deadly. When you can afford it, add a high quality thermal weapon sight. All the other pieces will augment the thermal and increase your versatility.

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
That depends on which level of NV you are going to start with and the type of hunting you are doing or want to do. Gen 3 NV is excellent for hunting and if that's all you can afford, you are not handicapped, just not fully equipped. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages. A wise person once advised me to start with a pvs14 and the parts and pieces to mount it on a weapon and a helmet. Next purchase was a thermal scanner. Those two items will allow you to be mobile or stationary which ever the situation dictates and be very deadly. When you can afford it, add a high quality thermal weapon sight. All the other pieces will augment the thermal and increase your versatility.

Since I already have the Q14 Thermal, the thing I have to decide (and thought I had) is what to mount on the weapon. I had heard that the latest Gen3 NV was really so outstanding that it's better than thermal due to better identification ability. But after having the thermal monocular with the 2X lens and watching night hog hunting videos comparing thermal to NV, I'm starting to think that a thermal scope or clip-on might be the way to go. I'm definitely all ears on opinions about what best works or what is favorable.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, you're saying I got it backwards then?

Mostly that idea comes from a relative who uses a thermal monocular to locate and then his NV scope to make the shot. I've not hunted with him so I don't know exactly how he is operating but I know that he likes holding the monocular for an extended period rather than the rifle.

I hear what you're saying though regarding follow ups especially.

I appreciate all the info and advice.
Not saying you got it backwards just that in my experience I like shooting with thermal.

I started with a PVS 14 mounted to a helmet because we drive around a lot. When I spotted something I would make the stalk and when in range I would transfer the 14 to the rifle behind an EOTech and it worked well. This route you are limited to the caliber of rifle and the tube needs to have a high halo number. This will help from blowing the tube because of recoil but you are still taking a chance.

Then I got a thermal clip-on and run it if front of a day optic. This worked well but is a heavier setup than a scope. It also doesn't have the resolution that a dedicated thermal scope does. After a few years with that setup I got rid of the clip-on and went with a dedicated thermal scope and glad I did. Smaller and lighter package with a better resolution.

My opinion thermal is better for locating(scanning) and shooting, NV is better for navigation and target ID. Example is with thermal you can tell it's a dog but not the breed whereas NV you probably could. That being said the quality thermals today have no problem telling the difference between a cow and a pig.

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not saying you got it backwards just that in my experience I like shooting with thermal.

I started with a PVS 14 mounted to a helmet because we drive around a lot. When I spotted something I would make the stalk and when in range I would transfer the 14 to the rifle behind an EOTech and it worked well. This route you are limited to the caliber of rifle and the tube needs to have a high halo number. This will help from blowing the tube because of recoil but you are still taking a chance.

Then I got a thermal clip-on and run it if front of a day optic. This worked well but is a heavier setup than a scope. It also doesn't have the resolution that a dedicated thermal scope does. After a few years with that setup I got rid of the clip-on and went with a dedicated thermal scope and glad I did. Smaller and lighter package with a better resolution.

My opinion thermal is better for locating(scanning) and shooting, NV is better for navigation and target ID. Example is with thermal you can tell it's a dog but not the breed whereas NV you probably could. That being said the quality thermals today have no problem telling the difference between a cow and a pig.

Really nice explanation and I appreciate the insight. What you're saying about quality thermals is ringing true. Once I put the 2x lens on the Q14 thermal monocular I feel like it made a big difference. I used it the other night in the yard to spot a bunch of coons that were making noise. Even though they were only about 25 meters out I was impressed with how clearly I could tell what they were (at least the ones on the ground).

This along with the LSB youtube vid I watched comparing Gen 3 NV and a 2x thermal is kind of changing my mind.

Any issues with using thermals on rifles with higher recoil?

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my personal experience, fieldcraft can be more valuable than advanced technology, especially at night.

When I first started hunting at night seven years ago, I had a 30.06 and a handheld 3 pound Brinkman lift with a red filter.

No doubt scared away more game than I ever saw, but learned a lot bonking around in the dark.

Before I went thermal, a very deadly combination was the Flir PS 24 thermal mono and a digital NV Pulsar Photon XT.

This gentlemen was on the move on the other side of a marsh in light brush about 125 yards out. Tracked with the thermal and downed him with the Photon on .270.

Never would have seen him with an NV spotter, and might have lost him by the time I identified him with thermal (cattle on property).

image.jpg

And here's a beautiful thing about a thermal mono for spotting that's not often mentioned: You can usually discern fairly readily if nothing is there.

And that simple bit of knowledge can save you a lot of time and frustration, regardless of what you're after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the insight lonepunman, much appreciated.

In my personal experience, fieldcraft can be more valuable than advanced technology, especially at night.

And I think that principle applies to most any craft -- mastery of fundamentals is paramount.