Howdy all!

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hi Lone Star Boars.

New member. I am here because this seems like a great resource to learn about hog hunting and related things before I go and do.

I bought a book about hog hunting and am about half way through it. It seems to cover mostly basic things and doesn't go into night hunting at all, which I am more interested (at this point, anyway).

Based on my research I decided that the best way for me to go was to have a thermal monocular and a NV scope. I purchased an Armasight Q14 640 (30Hz) and also got the 2X lens. I like the unit pretty well, especially after the putting in the bigger lens. The battery life does seem really short (about an hour).

I do not have a NV scope yet. My plan is to talk to the Ident Marking guys when I'm up close to Dallas in the near future.

I'm contemplating building a 458 SOCOM upper since the only viable options I have currently is an SKS and a SBR in 300BLK. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Well, I also have a 12 gauge I could use slugs with I guess... not too sure how common that is.

Well, that's me and where I am. Glad to be here and hope to glean as much as possible.

mad

D

djones

well if it ain't the madcap. let me be the first to warn you about a guy here named scram. ignore him. he's about as bright as a black hole and twice as dense.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, be careful and make sure u read know the recoil rating for gun mounted night vision before mounting it on a high recoil big bore

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Mad Man!
Get your equipment...kill some hogs...post some pics.

Reactions: mad

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hello and welcome!

Reactions: mad

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome. That 458 will destroy your night vision. You need to use the 300 BO before the 458.

Cazz

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aw, no worries. I was just messing with you. I actually identify as a.....wait for it.......HUNTER! LOL.

(But don't tell my husband. He still thinks I'm his wife.)

mad

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. That 458 will destroy your night vision. You need to use the 300 BO before the 458.

Right, after reading up on some NV scopes that definitely does seem to be the case. Thanks for the warning.

Cazz

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if you like, i can put you in a pink cap that says... BABE
Can you turn this cane into a scoped semi-auto rifle?
8b456641134b178fabfcd793398e1191.gif

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to LSB. Any reason why you are wanting a NV scope? I've used both NV and thermal scopes and believe that a thermal scope works better. Nv is great for navigating and is better at target ID if you're looking to tell the difference between a spotted hog or solid color one but thermal has it beat with locating possible targets, faster follow ups and target ID has improved a lot with todays thermal technology.

Cazz

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a pic of a real rifle or a cartoon rifle? black?
Ooh, I was kidding. But if you really want to do it, make the rifle look mean!