How to maintain and expand hunting privileges on a property

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Roll down any CR, RR or FM, and you'll pass a hundred gates.

The vast majority will never open to an armed stranger for ANY amount of money.

(At this point, your length of Lone Star residency is revealed by whether you're nodding in agreement or shaking your head in disbelief).

This forum is often visited by newcomers searching for the secret to finding property to hunt in the vastly privately owned nation of Texas.

And our members, quite justifiably, typically remain silent as no such secret exists (persistence and luck do seem to be key elements).

The unfortunate reality is that simply whompin' hawgs and 'yotes competently and safely is rarely sufficient reason alone to be given that gate lock key or combo.

So how do we make our boots welcome on hallowed ground throughout the year?

In my experience, it boils down to developing
a varied skill set, being willing to contribute as needed, PARTICULARLY when it's inconvenient and uncomfortable.

I have been hunting a 700 acre property in the Hill Country for about eight years.

Before I pulled a trigger, I helped put down two layers of vinyl paint in an unventilated concrete water tower at 105°.

Since then, I have:

Fixed gates, fences, feeders, bowstands, elevated blinds, windows, and toilets

Installed air conditioners, cut firewood, mowed grass, cleared brush from shooting lanes

Cleared the road of fallen trees and dug up big ass rocks

Supplied tacos, coffee, cigars, booze, coffee maker, vacuum cleaner, weather monitor and a laptop computer for game camera photo management.

Filled truckloads of water barrels and pumped them up the tower

Hauled out trash and scrap metal

Bought and laid down concrete bags in road at low traction muddy areas

Monitored livestock, weather damage, water levels, road condition and wildlife count

Provided use of my remote game camera for hunters during deer season

Marked trails for day and night for hunters unfamiliar with the terrain

Put out mosquito dunks after a heavy rain (okay, that’s just been twice)

Built a custom tripod stand and two brush blinds for general use

(You may notice that with the exception of the last item, these tasks are not directly tied to me actually shooting a damn thing).

And majority of it without being asked.

There's more, but you get the point.

So as tutorial (or warning) for a hunter who wants to stay on a property instead of waiting for a call back that may never come...

What non- shooting work have you guys done to earn the privilege of hunting access to a property?

Last edited:

chthump

LSB Member
And once you get your foot in the door. Don’t start showing up with friends, its not an open invitation

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And once you get your foot in the door. Don’t start showing up with friends, its not an open invitation

The caveat to this is to tell folks up front that you often have a hunting buddy who helps with dispatching and/or moving the hogs, plus provides additional hunter safety.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just tell them I am Todd Huey's brother and they let me right in!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well or older brother?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Up front, I was able to get access to property much easier, I just married the farmer's daughter.

Of course, since then I work like a rented mule when I am on the property. But, it is a beautiful property and she is a beautiful wife, so I it worked out.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Up front, I was able to get access to property much easier, I just married the farmer's daughter.

Of course, since then I work like a rented mule when I am on the property. But, it is a beautiful property and she is a beautiful wife, so I it worked out.
I tried to work something like that out, but my wife got upset and made me give it up.

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
Married onto a ranch here myself. Of course, hog hunting then becomes a chore, not just a leisurely activity. Seeing fresh damage becomes a whole lot more irritating as well.

I still put in the work around the ranch too. So that means long days followed by long nights, then up and At 'em early to start it all over.

Wouldn't trade it for anything...