How to find locations / properties to hunt?

Pilot00

I'm on a deer lease in North west Louisiana. It's not optimized for hogs but it's local. Is there a good way to find property to hunt? How did you locate your spot?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talk to everyone you know about your interest in hog hunting. Family and friends is a good place to start.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Talk to everyone you know about your interest in hog hunting. Family and friends is a good place to start.
What he said!
Let folks know you're interested in hunting hogs. I've gotten on to some properties because friends knew folks who had land and hogs. A personal recommendation from a mutual friend is generally much preferred over someone about whom the landowner knows nothing.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Craigslist, Facebook, announcement boards at ag / tractor stores, and hunting shops/stores.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Knock on doors...tell them your from the US Govt......just doing some night research.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just tell everyone I am Todd Huey and they start calling me for eradication

jglass

LSB Member
You need to talk to lots of people and make lots of friends. Learn to ask the right people the right questions. People want to avoid having idiots on their property. Do you have good and productive background?? Be sure to mention that. I always mention that I'm an Eagle Boy Scout, sometimes that gets me in.

Never tried it but offer to remove litter and debris from the property in trade for hunting privileges. Anything to make yourself attractive to a land owner.

It will take some time, but you will find property to hunt on.

KJQ6945

LSB Member
I spent a lot of time in the past year or so trying to organize a hog hunting trip for a few Army buddies. Was looking more for an eradication, shooting trip, as opposed to a trophy hunt. We eventually found what we were looking for, and the hunt went great.

We went into town several days to the local diner, for lunch or breakfast. Two guys from Pennsylvania, and two guys from Indiana. The guys from PA sound like they are straight out of a movie about the Amish. I guess the accents gave us away, because then people started inquiring why we are there. The locals were actually amazed that we drove a thousand miles, and were paying to shoot hogs.

Within about 10 minutes, we had exchanged cell phone numbers with the mayor, and a couple of ranchers. The people were extremely nice, and very willing to help us find more hogs if we needed.

This might be an exception rather than the rule, but I was very impressed with the people I met from The lone Star State!

Rookie

LSB Member
I spent a lot of time in the past year or so trying to organize a hog hunting trip for a few Army buddies. Was looking more for an eradication, shooting trip, as opposed to a trophy hunt. We eventually found what we were looking for, and the hunt went great.

We went into town several days to the local diner, for lunch or breakfast. Two guys from Pennsylvania, and two guys from Indiana. The guys from PA sound like they are straight out of a movie about the Amish. I guess the accents gave us away, because then people started inquiring why we are there. The locals were actually amazed that we drove a thousand miles, and were paying to shoot hogs.

Within about 10 minutes, we had exchanged cell phone numbers with the mayor, and a couple of ranchers. The people were extremely nice, and very willing to help us find more hogs if we needed.

This might be an exception rather than the rule, but I was very impressed with the people I met from The lone Star State!
And next time, he's taking me!!!

Rookie

LSB Member
Soon to be four. Drew is getting one instead of me getting an extra. Of course, that clears up money for two more suppressors.