How to add hundreds to your pigs weight......

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
or something like that.....

Discuss the "point system" used on this site:
http://wwtworldrecords.com/record-books/

Seems kinda pointless adding tusk diameter and length to "enhance" your score.
What ever happened to a good ole set of scales?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and good luck finding one of their scorers in 2 days of your hunt and meet at a certified scale.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Its dumb as hell. Boars can break off tusks several times in their lifetime, and they are supposed to wear them down, otherwise they grow around the snout and effectively close their mouth so they cant eat.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am a scorer for WWT. I cannot measure my own hog due to the rules that I agree with. The folks running this are great God fearing people and designed it this the way to be fair to everyone. All they are doing are giving you extra points for the girth and length of the tusks. They have it broke down into classes for each animal. Big Red Dog is 15th in tusk class and I'm 20 something in weight. I keep a scale in my truck and if I'm in the area I will come and score your hog for you. Anyone can become a scorer for them and I suggest the people on this site sign up in the different areas of the State. If we do this you should not have to hunt for a scorer.

Hogs are like deer that break their horns off. You shoot a big deer that is broke up and he does not score as good. Not the fault of the hunter, but thats the way it goes. Look at the hog in my avitar. He weighed 277 pounds but he broke one of his tusks. It did not matter to me as this was the biggest hog I have ever killed and was happy doing it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see weight and tusk size but to falsely add weight to a hog is not the right way to do it in my opinion. I don't see this going far nice try but not the right way to do it. Good luck with it though

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don't know what your talking about adding weight. We weigh them then measure the tusk and use a formula to get the final score. It's like BC score for any other big game animal. The weight of the hog stays the same. The only thing that makes point go up is the tusk size. Go to their websight it's all explained.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah they add 50lbs an inch to the hogs weight for the tusk cumulative, I read it.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's not weight its points.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey just quoting their website

"In using the WWT system, only the weight of the boar and the size of his bottom tusks are figured into the score. In scoring, every inch of bottom tusk has been made equivalent to 50 pounds of body weight."

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went ahead an pasted the entire thing for everone. It is kind of confusing the way they worded it, but if you will notice all of the scores have the word points above them. I do not think the intent was to make anyone believe we kill 500 pound plus hogs. It's just a good way to have fun with you buddies. Big Red Dog's hog was 254 pounds and mine was 277. He placed higher than me in Tusk Class, but I place higher in the Weight Class. It makes it fun.

In developing a fair and simple method to score wild boars, we focused on the basic and most popular characteristics that all hunters look for in a trophy or “record book” wild boar. These two attributes are body weight and tusk size. We developed a scoring system to rank wild boars that gives both characteristics “separate but equal” representation. The WWT scoring system does this flawlessly.

In using the WWT system, only the weight of the boar and the size of his bottom tusks are figured into the score. In scoring, every inch of bottom tusk has been made equivalent to 50 pounds of body weight. The main focus in developing this scoring system was simplicity and equality among genetically different boars. This was accomplished by separating boars into two different classes. These two classes are the “Weight” class (W) and the “Tusk” class (T). The W class is designed to group all boars who get the majority number of points due to body weight, while the T class groups all
boars together that receive the majority number of points from tusk length. SCORING EXAMPLE

The W and T classes allow for all boars to be ranked by their greater physical characteristics. It equalizes the differences in physical attributes caused by differences in genetics, environment, and nutrition. Much like Boone and Crockett uses typical and non-typical classes to separate genetic differences, the WWT system uses the “Weight” and “Tusk” classes to separate genetically different boars for fair ranking purposes. The circumference is figured into the equation to be used as a tie breaker in close scoring situations. CLASSIFICATION EXAMPLE

All scoring must be done by an official scorer. Wild Boar USA / Ugly Dog Ranch has official scorers throughout different regions of the United States and hopefully soon in different parts of the world. It is the hopes of all involved that the scoring system will help boar hunting surge forward in both popularity and respect while at the same time allowing documentation and competition between all giant boars taken. We encourage all hunters to include a WWT score with any photos sent to various magazines and websites. By doing this the popularity and understanding of the system will grow. It will also allow for readers to be able to compare trophy values of boars.
Please contact us with any questions.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, what makes a trophy hog? Is it weight alone? Is it only the length of the tusks? Should the tail be considered? What about the size of the ridge on the back?

I like the factoring involved with the WWT scoring. It combines, in a reasonable way it seems to me, the two most important and readily measured factors for a feral animal.

With several classes or divisions to place the score it gives you a chance to compare your animal to others in the same or similar circumstances.

I like the tonnage numbers from a sounder. I like the body count that a team of buddies can rack up in a good night. I also like just being out hog hunting.

Success is not only about the (pick any of the above), it is about hunting or harvesting with good friends.

Frank, you and Vern and Aspp can all become scorers and should encourage one or two of your buddies to do likewise. It can be an enjoyable addition to this pastime.

Let's be safe and have fun.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks ********, half my hogs don't get pics taken or weights taken, I do it for fun, fellowship and food, not record books. I guess at my age the competitive bragging nature has been cured and I just enjoy the hunt and fellowship of friends. No problem with what you are trying to do, just a method among many and if it makes you happy I am fine w that...good luck with your efforts, I was not dogging it just not needing to add points or weights to what I have done. Best of luck to you.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's cool. Heck, invite me hunting and I will bring a scorer with me and maybe we can get you into the books. Don't mean nothing, just fun stuff.

(gotta go save up my gas money now)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No kidding the government and gas prices are killing me, pretty soon they will ban hog hunting too and I will have no fun on my old age!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know and have had the pleasure of hunting with the record holder in the Free Range Wild Boar - Weight Class division.
He and his operation are a class act and good folks...and my old butt stuck a pig with his knife!