How far do you zero thermal?

Hunter

what do you like to zero your thermal at? I'm sure some people have different preferences and would like to here how far and why.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How far? How far do you plan to shoot? I zero at 100. Some zero at 50.

At what? You want something thermally distinct. Chemical handwarmers work well on paper. A square of reflective goil or tape works. In a pinch, I have had duct tape work.

My personal favorite is to use a steel target in the evening where the sun has warmed it during the day and now everything is cooling down.

You can also use chilled items like bottles of water that have been frozen

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I zero at 50 because all my shots are anywhere from 20 to 200 yards. With a 50 yard zero and my loads I am within 1.250" up or down of my zero at those ranges. So 20 yards out to 200 yards I make no adjustments.

With a 100 yard zero it is close to the same until I get to about 170 yards and I am 3.5" low at 200. Some people say that's ok but with thermal you are looking at a +/- 2 MOA weapon sight so being as close as you can on your Aim point and POI I think is important.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 12.5" *** factory 120 SST 185 yd zero~ IMG_5200.PNG IMG_5201.PNG IMG_5202.PNG IMG_5203.PNG Depends on your hunting grounds/typical longest shot. I used to only hunt smaller properties where the longest shot 99% of the time was under 150 yards. Usually under 100 so a 100 yard zero was fine.
Now I'm on a much larger property with plenty of shot opportunities that are better than my ability and my guns ability. Gonna be switching gear around soon and I will rezero to accommodate for simpler shots at 150-200 yards (especially without using a rangefinder-- but the new gear may solve this). This is what I'll be shooting for, pun intended.

Sorry Photo bucket isn't loading pics properly.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My thermal is zero @ 50yds. [ 18" 6.8 using Barnes 85gr TSX going 3100fps ] That will give me easily a shoulder shot or a "upside his head" shot out to as far as I am prepared to shoot. I do not shoot running shots or "hit him anywhere" shots. Killing shots only or we do not shoot.
For sight in we use the small inside the glove or inside the boot warmers. That or the shiny foil type tape on a brown cardboard box. Three pieces,one on top the other works best for a more contrast thermal signature. ---pruhdlr

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And the 16" 6.8 ***. factory 120 sst 200 yd zero~

IMG_5205.PNG
IMG_5206.PNGIMG_5207.PNGIMG_5208.PNG
This keeps me within 2 inches out past 200 yards on both. I believe this is pretty similar to Txlawman But I'm pretty sure he reloads so his velocities might be different. Although they say the *** barrels do get more velocity as well. I usually zero thermal with a thick black poster board and some sticky aluminum from a roll of aluminum tape from autozone.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Fifty yard zero for me with the 6.8. 100 with the 223.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50 yds zero works great for me - makes for no hold over on shots out to 200 (120SST out of 12.5" 6.8)

I'm not sure I could reliably zero my Zeus 640 past 100 if its a 2 MOA sight. Wouldn't it be akin to zeroing a low power optical scope at a distance where the thickness of the reticle obscures 3-4" of the bullseye?

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50 yds zero works great for me - makes for no hold over on shots out to 200 (120SST out of 12.5" 6.8)

I'm not sure I could reliably zero my Zeus 640 past 100 if its a 2 MOA sight. Wouldn't it be akin to zeroing a low power optical scope at a distance where the thickness of the reticle obscures 3-4" of the bullseye?
Just to piggyback on this.. I know the IR hunter MKII will adjust different amounts based on how much digital zoom is set. I don't remember specifically but I think it's like 1.3 inches at 100yds per click with native zoom and at 4x digital each click is only like 1/3 of an inch adjustment at 100. I could be way off on those specific click values so don't quote that but I remember figuring that out one day at the range and then reading it later specifically in the manual.

Hunter

I have 14.5" 6.8 shooting 120grain hornady sst
My shots at as far as I can take them. I hunt flat and hilly pasture but we are talking you can see 1500 yds. So 0-300 would be my shots just bc much further the thermal can't see good. I never heard of a 50 yd zero to this forum that's why I'm asking. I have zeroed my rifles my whole life 1"-2" high at a 100. So I never thought 50 yd made sense until y'all saying 1.5 low at 200 why not just zero for 200? Would it be way off if you shot at 50?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 6.8 zero'd at 50 is still climbing at 100. At 200, it's back to about the same elevation as it is at 50.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 14.5" 6.8 shooting 120grain hornady sst
My shots at as far as I can take them. I hunt flat and hilly pasture but we are talking you can see 1500 yds. So 0-300 would be my shots just bc much further the thermal can't see good. I never heard of a 50 yd zero to this forum that's why I'm asking. I have zeroed my rifles my whole life 1"-2" high at a 100. So I never thought 50 yd made sense until y'all saying 1.5 low at 200 why not just zero for 200? Would it be way off if you shot at 50?
IMG_5245.PNG IMG_5246.PNG