Homie Went to Cabela's Today

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna be working a new location this coming week, nearly 100 miles to the east, near the edge of the drilling field. The A.N.W.R. border is near here. The last time I was there, it was a desolate "pad" consisting of 12 acres of rig mats laid out, and two well heads that had a protective house over them. It's being transformed into about a 56 acre (as I recall) work site/camp... and will have a pipeline to the trunk line when completed. Should be plenty of bears in the area (it's on the mainland), so I should see polars and grizzlies. Should see caribou as well.

Needed a new bug head net, some fresh stock of bug dope too. Got some of the Sawyer's Permethrin to try out, as well as some old standby "OFF"... and an "After Bite" (itch eraser). It's an ammonia based product, and WORKS when applied right after an insect bite. The headnet I bought is a "Sea to Summit", which pulls from its own little stuff sack that can remain clipped to your belt, pack, whatever. Packed away, it's the size of a 60 ct. vitamin bottle. I like their packable gear. I have a "nap sack" of theirs which stuffs away into the same sized little stuff sack. Handy to toss in a piece of luggage when travelling, and you find yourself needing one more "carry on" sized piece of luggage. It weighs nothing and fits in any pocket. It'd even fit in a pants cargo pocket if you pull it out and loosely stuff it to size.

Well.... been wanting a couple of things for a while now, and finally decided to get 'em. So, a new Vortex Ranger 1000 laser range finder found its way into the basket. It'll do "scan", measuring distances as you pan, as well as give you two types of range. The "HCD" (Horizontal Component Distance) feature will compensate for an upward/downward angle and give you the corrected distance in either yards or meters for rifle/bow hunting. The "LOS" (Line of Sight" mode gives you an uncorrected LOS distance to target and an angle in degrees for you to calculate your own dope. The unit is about 3"x4" in size and weighs in a 7.7 oz. The belt clip will attach to either side you prefer, and has a handy (removable) neck strap, as well as a compact (nice) soft carry case. It runs off a single CR2 battery. It's a 6x tool, with a 22mm objective, and a focusable eyepiece too. You can pilot through the menu and save the preferred settings. MSRP is $379.99 for it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vort...&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03448192&rid=20

The other toy (err... "tool") I snagged up was a Garmin GPSMap 78. Some decent features for an inexpensive GPS unit ($199.99, $100.00 off !!). A 1.7GB internal memory, plus a microSD slot. It'll float if dropped in the water, and run time is 20 hrs. on a pair of AA batteries. You do not dump your memory when the batteries die and/or while changing them. USB cord allows you to update your software, and the guy behind the counter says that the microSD slot can accept one of the fancy new programs/chips you can buy/install for your State (about $100.00 ea.), called "onXmaps" to give you private property boundaries and phone contacts for owners. Won't be needing that feature/program for work... but, a nice thing to have for home/hunting season.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...eld-gps/_/N-1100153/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104373180

Of course, I had to treat myself to lunch while I was there... with a smoked elk deli sammich and a side salad, with some lemonade too.

Oh, yeah... it's about 85F here today, light breeze to keep it comfy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well looks like you are all fixed up! Darn warm isn't it?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a nice day at the store. We are getting a Cabelas right up the road and a few blocks away from Academy. They are well on their way with the pad and have signs up now. I think they said it is suppose to be the 2nd biggest store they have built. It has many thousands of sq. feet!! They will get some of my money on opening day!! On 45 South in League City Texas.SHOP SHOP!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For what I'm acclimated to? Yes, quite warm here at home. May even hit 90F tomorrow. Got my yard work done during cooler days... man, was I BEHIND on that !!! Got it all caught up though. Only thing left, I'd ordered up some ground cover plantings to put in. Looks like they'll arrive after I've left. C'est la vie. At least I didn't pay too much for it.

Love YouTube. Some good tutorials for use of the new tools.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a nice day at the store. We are getting a Cabelas right up the road and a few blocks away from Academy. They are well on their way with the pad and have signs up now. I think they said it is suppose to be the 2nd biggest store they have built. It has many thousands of sq. feet!! They will get some of my money on opening day!! On 45 South in League City Texas.SHOP SHOP!!

I have two to choose from. The larger store is about 60 miles south of me, more dense traffic getting to it. The one to the north is about half that distance, and is about 1/2 the size. Personally, I think they should've made both of them the same size. About an equal density of population either way.

About 30 miles south, is a Sportsman's Warehouse... and another one of them about 45 miles to the north. They're a smaller box store, but, have good stuff there as well.

I try not to go to Cabela's too often, I can spend some coin in that place. Had to drag myself away (by the ear) from the gun counter. I've got the itch for a Bond Arms "Snake Slayer". They had more than one of them in the display case. Buddy of mine has one, shot it... want one. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cabela's here is a bit pricey, can always buy online cheaper..You got some nice gear!!

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Good to hear that they are coming along on the construction! It's just up the road from me as well and have been wondering when I can get in there and spend some of the money I would have used at Crapcademy!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was near the new store this weekend. I have not been that way in 8 weeks+ man o man have they come a long ways. The new stroe is closed in it look like and they have most of the parking lot finished. The place is going to be HUGE!! I suppose it will open sometime late this year (I hope). MONEY MONEY!!:)

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We have a new store right on the SC and NC line can't buy guns have to have them shipped to a NC FFL it It is a pain

Last edited: