Hogs & Soy Beans?

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Our place thats all trees has been surrounded by corn fields for longer than I've been hunting pigs. Come to find out that this year everybody planted soy beans. Anyone have experience with pigs in beans? One local hog hunter that I spoke to says pigs don't even bother with them other than crossing the fields maybe. I'm thinking/hoping that until now, they just preferred the corn but will still hang around for beans when there is no choice. The interweb seems to indicate they'll eat beans too. Thoughts?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I won't eat them.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've not had much luck with hogs and soybean fields.

D

djones

once i filled a 3ft hole half way up with corn and the top half with soybeans. hogs dug out the soybeans to get to the corn. they never ate the beans.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pigs love soybeans like corn they won't eat them once they sprout, but at planting and harvest the hogs come from miles! Also during the growing season I get them digging between rows.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
mehh, what does he know. he's prolly got a soybean sponsor
I have a soybean farmer they seem to be smarter than the peaunt guys....

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's hit or miss in my neck of the woods on soybean fields. Generally, they don't damage the soybeans. But they will.

Ironically, I use soybeans for bait in the fall when it's free piled up on the side of the road.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Haha, ok, sounds at least like they aren't pig kryptonite. Appreciate the input.

jglass

LSB Member
Only thing I saw hogs refuse to eat was "Sweet Feed". It was at Tractor Supply for $7/bag. Never could figure out the intended
critter the feed was for. I saw the word "Sweet" and assumed the hogs would like it. Something got into the sweet feed the first night, after that it remained on the ground for weeks. After a few rain storms it deteriorated and sort of disappeared.

Regular hog feed was $20 a bag. I wonder how that would work for bait. A retired hog farmer told me to be care blending different feeds. Add the wrong ingredients and the hogs will refuse to eat the entire batch.

D

djones

a buddy feeds sweet feed to horses. every time he'd put it in the trough, pigs would clean it out. i've tried it a few times and never had any luck. last time i actually saw hogs come in down wind of it, turn their noses up and after a couple of whiffs hauled ass like they just got a face full of roro's armpit.

that stuff smells so good i think i'd eat it. not sure what the problem was unless it was just too different from anything they'd smelled before.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
not sure what the problem was unless it was just too different from anything they'd smelled before.
After a lot of trapping and feeding wild hogs I believe this is the case. Can't get them to eat acorns unless you fake eating it first then they will eat them, when it comes to raising small feral pigs. Can't get them to eat dog food until that's all they have then they get used to it and they crave the stuff. I have caught hogs on Alfalfa pellets where they feed them to cattle on a regular basis. On Horse feed where they are used to that, and on it goes. Learned activity is key first , then hunger or curiosity start to take place.

jglass

LSB Member
After a lot of trapping and feeding wild hogs I believe this is the case. Can't get them to eat acorns unless you fake eating it first then they will eat them, when it comes to raising small feral pigs. Can't get them to eat dog food until that's all they have then they get used to it and they crave the stuff. I have caught hogs on Alfalfa pellets where they feed them to cattle on a regular basis. On Horse feed where they are used to that, and on it goes. Learned activity is key first , then hunger or curiosity start to take place.

Ok Dan, can you explain why hogs like shelled corn out of the bag when they have not seen corn before? That's how it is in Florida where I hog hunt. To my knowledge, there is no corn for many miles. Now maybe the hogs see the raccoons eating the corn and the power of suggestion takes over the hogs. At the RV resort I set out a box asking for table scraps to be used for wild hog bait. The residents knew if I shot a hog we would have another hog roast. I received bushels of bread, vegetables, crackers, peanuts almost every day. I would take it all out to my wild hog bait pile and the next morning most of it would be gone. Certain citrus fruit and vegetables the hogs and raccoons refused to eat. They would eat pineapple but not the pineapple husks.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't know. What I do know is that hogs are funny critters.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mr Glass, corn has been put out in deer feeders since the beginning, hogs saw the deer eating it, ran them off and found a new food source.

ScottJ

LSB Member
Where I've been, it seems like alfalfa is the favorite for the pigs. Corn is good too, like in fields that were harvested and the pigs come out and get the leftovers. Beans are a distant third. Only time I've seen pigs on soybean fields is when there's not corn and no alfalfa nearby.