Hogs responded to the call

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had some time this afternoon to try out my Bullet HP speaker with Glenn Guess's hog calls. Boy was it a hoot! Nothing like having a couple of 200 pounders close to within fifty yards in broad daylight while you're hiding behind a little bush! I was fortunate in that I heard the hogs squealing down in the creek so I knew their approximate location. I set up about 50 yards from the speaker and played "Hey Baby". The hogs responded almost immediately and two fatties closed in from the thick cover. I shot the first one in but the others reversed direction and prevented any follow up shots. She ran another fifty yards but crumpled in a spot that wasn't too hard to find. This is a really intense situation to be in as you can't be completely sure where they will come in from and also how many! I was all tensed up, staring through the brush, listening, waiting, trying to stay quiet all at the same time. But it worked! It worked well. I hit a little far back but the bullet must have hit a rib and careened forward. There was a good size exit wound from the heart area on the far side. Using 120g SSTs and it was only about 3:45 in the afternoon. It was a nice break from the late night thermal hunting and I'll be trying it out some more. She was a big nursing sow and taped in at 190lbs.
Hog055X.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very satisfying, to eliminate an active piglet factory. Nice work. Congrats on a working tactic too.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good!

I only use calls when I can't otherwise get to the hogs or figure I have nothing to lose. It seems that for me, it scares the hogs off as more often than it calls them in, but when they do come in, as you said, it can be intense!

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good!

I only use calls when I can't otherwise get to the hogs or figure I have nothing to lose. It seems that for me, it scares the hogs off as more often than it calls them in, but when they do come in, as you said, it can be intense!

The times that it has worked out for me has always been when I've heard some squealing and so know that they are within the area. I know Glenn has called them in from miles away but I haven't developed that ability - (yet!)

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven’t had any luck with the calls either, but I’m still trying. Have a spot picked out that if the wind stays right I’ll be trying pretty soon. Good shooting taking that old girl out!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down!! Nice rifle!

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been using the convergent calls pretty successfully. Four out of the last five times I've tried hogs came to the call.