Hogs in cold weather

jglass

LSB Member
What do hogs do when the weather turns really cold, the way it is in Florida, right now. Do they become active during the warmest part of the day or just hunker down until it warms back up. We went out last night, 43 degrees, we saw deer, coyote, fox but not a single hog. The hogs could be avoiding me altogether after the New Years Eve shoot out. I killed two hogs and attempted a 3rd hog on the run, missed that one. Fired 5 rounds altogether.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I walked for 2 hours last night before dark, saw nothing but deer. Right at dark saw 2 hogs by the farm house, not sure where they came from or where they were going. Not sure cold weather changed anything here.

LSB Active Member
funny you should say that. our lease has been devoid of life b/c of man made issues, but last night were the first hogs taken in 5 weeks on 5,500 acres. i'm down in tampa and as you know it was cold for us last night. no idea what brought them out, but with 15 guys on the lease we always have eyes somewhere every day out there been a ghost town lately. we are going out with 3 thermals tomorrow night to recon any deer activity will be interesting what we see. incidentally i spotted 2 sounders of hogs last night on way back to camp about 2 dozen total. so they were out enjoying it last night

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last night, it was 14 degrees with a 7 mph wind out of the NE. Very little was moving on any of my places. However, I watched a sounder across the road on a place where I don't hunt and they were quite active.

Hogs gotta eat. They aren't going to stop eating because it is a bit chilly.