Hogs, coyotes and 100gr Accubond

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I picked up several boxes of Nosler 100gr Accubonds from SPS, figured I would give them a try after great reports of the 110gr Accubonds.

I'm far from being impressed. I took two hogs and two coyotes this week. Didn't get really good pics, but did get some. On the first hog, two boars came in before dark, I picked the bigger one which was about 140 pounds, I had to remove my PVS-14 and shoot just with the Eotech from 70 yards. I was going to go for a neck shot like normal, but being it was 70 yards with no magnification, I decided to put on the back of the shoulder. I shot, hog started running, took a second shot and it went down. I also shot once at the second hog before it went in to brush, but missed.

I go look at the downed hog, I see the shot where I hit it in the pic below, flip it over and see no exit wound. So I figured I would dig out the bullet when I processed back at camp. I get back to camp and when skinning I see that I hit it on the second shot just behind the rear legs which also had a exit, like I shot it with a full metal jacket. I also found on the first shot had an exit on the opposite side. I then had to look close at the skin to see the exit wounds. I was going to take pictures, but just then the damn metal pole that holds the hoist, fell, whacking me on the back, now the hog is on the ground, so had to finish skinning and quartering there.

Pic of hog entrance wound, could not see exit, and could not see second shot entrance or exit:
154576632.jpg

The next day I had another boar, about 90 pounds feeding 35 yards behind me, the shot was about 30 degrees downhill, I took the shot in the neck, forward of the shoulder, down through the chest, I shoot and the boar runs off like it wasn't even hit. After some searching I finally found it, only because I could hear it gasping for air. The shot entered where I shot, down through the chest and back out the other side behind the ribs. Almost no blood for the 70 yards or so it ran. I didn't get pics as it was down in this deep arroyo and was impossible to get it out.

Then with the remains of the hog I processed and another hog when of the guys shot, it was time to take some coyotes. We placed the carcasses about 200 yards out from camp. Took a couple days but the coyotes started hitting them. I shot two coyotes, the first in the pics before, I drilled center chest, I had to dig through the fur to see the entrance wound and just a tiny exit wound. The second coyote I hit running at about 260 yards, it went down, but it is tall grass and never did find it.

Entrance on coyote:
154576634.jpg

Exit
154576635.jpg

Wanted to see if others have used the 100gr Accubonds and their conclusion? I switched after this and went to using my 12.5" *** 6.8 with 120gr SST's, but didn't get any more shots.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't used the 100, but the 110 is one of my favorite bullets. I have taken a 8pt WT buck, 180lb boar, and a few lighter sows all where DRT's. On the other hand I was shooting them through a 20" and 16" at about 100 yards my 10.5" has only used the 120's.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is the bullet construction different between the 100 and 110?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
There has to be a difference Frank, why would they put out two bullets only 10 grains apart from each other. Although Barnes has the 95gr TTSX, 110gr TTSX, but those are 15gr which makes more sense, and then they have the 110gr TSX, which works better in the 6.8 as the 110gr TTSX is really too long.

I posted over on the 6.8 forums, so will see what others have experienced.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 110TSX was my goto factory rd from the beginning, never failed to put the animal down. I still have several boxes and may go back to it till I run out of them.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea I was using 95gr TTSX, they work great. I'm guessing difference in the Accubond is the thickness of the jacket, maybe its a little too thick, dunno

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Man! I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with these. I had a very similar experience with the Fed. fusion 115gr 6.8SPC. I also bought a few boxes of these and was hoping they would be better than the Fed's. If I ever get off my lazy butt and write up the story of my hunting season, I will explain what problems I had with the Federals.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper I need that story, I am sighted in w those now.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
It is interesting on the Fusions, I've read some good results with them, but always like to hear what others have to say

On the 100gr Accubonds, neither of my shots were immediate kill shots, well I thought the neck down through the chest would be, but apparently I didn't take out the nervous system, so the pig ran. On the first pig I took a shot on the back of the shoulder, again that would only be lungs.

The issue I had was entrance and exit, mostly exit as the bullet had time to expand, and then internal damage.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry Frank, I'm not the story teller that RatDog is, but I will try to get something put together soon. I have been reluctant to say anything about the Fusion's, because there are a number of people on the 6.8 forum who have had excellent results. My experience may be an anomaly and your results may vary.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just the facts as they were for you, no big story and you certainly will not get beat up here for reporting your real world experience! Thanks