Hogs as coyote bait

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by 437, May 24, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Member

Anyone use them intentionally? A hog has at most 24 hours on our turf b/f it's completely gone. Buzzards get after it in the morning and many times by dark it's been dragged off to who knows where I'm guessing by a few yotes? Maybe one I dunno.

Can you stake them to the ground successfully? Maybe a butchers hook suspended off a limb? We have a couple with chains already just haven't slapped a hog on one yet. Not sure if that is the ticket, but it was all I could come up with.

2. chthump

chthump LSB Member

I shot 5 yotes hunting downwind from a boarthat was killed a few days earlier, yotes were shot in under 2 hours time, dropped 3, 2 ran off, found 1 the next day, my best yote hunt todate. Boar was not staked, but the yotes/buzzards must not have been starving, theres still lots of meat for all.
    Most pigs are gone in 24hrs or less, around here

3. rgilbert

rgilbert Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal . LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

I do all of the time. Coyotes love dead hogs.

4. OneK

OneK LSB Active Member Staff Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Spent the night in a freshly planted peanut field a week ago and watched 10 coyotes take turns on two pigs I had shot two days earlier. Went on all night. Shot a boar at 6:45 and by 7:00 there were four buzzards sitting on it. They were there before I could put up my junk and dig my phone out.

djones and Pootie like this.
  5. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

And vice versa. Have had hogs come to rotting coyote carcass multiple times.

chthump and OneK like this.
  6. Dry Creek

Dry Creek LSB Member

You have stumbled across one of my best kept secrets that I have been using since I got into the thermal game back in early 2013 with a 2X ATN Thor 30mm 320 resolution. Don't hate on me for the ATN as there was nothing else on the market except a Raytheon back then. I have what I call either " the bone yard" or "coyote flypaper". I started piling dead hogs and even coyotes in about a 30 yd by 30 yd area about 150 yards of my elevated deer stand. The buzzards get to them first but all I want is the attractant smell from this set up. Just a little rain on the carcasses and even dry bones will attract a coyote. Everybody and their dogs have electronic calls and the coyotes all have masters degrees in avoiding them so forget calling in my area. I will say that fully 95 % of the coyotes that I see come downwind of the "coyote flypaper" must come and investigate to try to eat on a deteriorated hog leg or piss on something. In real cold weather the carcass will last for several days and sometimes the first thing that I see in my Armasight Zeus 5 320 75mm as it starts up is a coyote gnawing on a hog leg. I love that 5X on start up for this shooting situation and chose it specifically for " the bone yard".

chthump, OneK and Chopperdrvr like this.
  7. 437

437 LSB Member

This is really interesting to see the hogs no matter what size are straight up gone now the next morning most times. Sometimes a bit left for the buzzards, but dang. Amazing a 100 pounds and more can be dragged off like that. Going out to practice on some rabbits with bludgeon tips this evening was considering using them as bait, but not sure how I'd rig that for a thermal coyote baited hunt if they are dragging off whole hogs! Guess I'll just pile em up and have to be doubly ready for a snap shot b/f they hit the gas with a 1 pound floppy eared dinner.

Dry Creek and RattlesnakeDan like this.