Hog water hole

jglass

LSB Member
Since I hunt in Florida water is never to far off. However, after a heavy rain I can see where the hogs wallow in the standing puddles of water until they dry up. Water is only a few inches below the ground surface. I'm thinking about burying a pipe into the ground water and using a 12v bilge pump to create a puddle of water on the ground surface. I could run the pump on a battery and keep it charged with a solar panel.

Is this worth a try?? Thanks, Jimar-15 with hog.jpg

Reactions: 437

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I lived near Orlando and water was shallow, you could drive a steel pipe into the ground and when water started flowing out (usually about 3' deep) then you let the sand clear out and could just cap it and put another pipe down inside that one with a valve on top and you had a water spicket.

LSB Active Member
Heck why not that might very well work. One of the places we are looking to drop our first barrel/rub post is where we found a YUGE wallow and it's not even wet yet. We had a horribly dry winter. FYI I'm in Tampa....where are you located? I like the idea of a portable wallow of sorts seems like it could work....never know til you try.

jglass

LSB Member
I hunt about 60 miles North in the Homosassa area. I'm stuck in Northern Illinois for a few months now. We killed 7 hogs last winter, I personally killed 3, seems like we should have killed more but, it is what it is.

I also tried a rubbing post and the hogs seemed to like that as well.