Hog Trapping vs. Thermal Eradication

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm in an interesting situation. Let me just bullet point all the details, then get your opinion.

• I'm friends with a family of farmers. They are actually elders of my church.
  • Farmers have 10,000 + acres they own or lease. Currently are dealing with some major hog issues.
  • About a year ago, they hired a local hog trapper and are paying him per pig. Trapper uses round traps that are about 7ft tall, has one entry gate about 5ft wide, and closes with a cell phone.
  • He traps on my farmer friend's place for about a year.
  • My farmer friend contacts me asking me if I will come hog hunting his place in addition to the farmer trapping, and works out a deal with me with where he bought me an Armasight Zeus 640 2-16x42mm Thermal unit, and I pay him back in hog kills.
  • Farmer is willing to pay me more per pig than the trapper
  • Trapper finds out I've been hired, and tries to show authority (that he does not have) and tells me when and where I can and can't hog hunt. The trapper basically said I don't need to be hunting from September - April. That is his "trapping season."
  • I ignore him and continue to only communicate with the Farmer about when and where to hog hunt with the thermal I am paying him back. So I just politely ask when and where I can go hunting on that specific night, and I go there.

Now my question to you is how do you think trapping and thermal eradication should healthily work together in this situation? I've talked to several locals in the areas of the farms. They believe there is hardly a pig in the area that has not seen a hog trap. My thought process is to thermal eradicate every pig I can, especially the big older ones. But do any of you honestly think it would benefit the farmer to do no thermal eradicating during Sept - April? That leaves me hunting basically in the heat of the summer when the corn fields are nearly 8ft tall and in August when they start harvest. But I know I can do a lot of good during planting season as well, especially when they plant wheat in Oct. I think this trapper is just trying to keep pigs abundant for his income and doing his best to get me out of the picture. But all I can say is there is a reason the farmer called and asked me to hunt in addition to his trapping and is willing to pay me more per pig.

So if you were the farmer, what would you do?

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like the trapper does not want to lose his income. Pretty sure he gets money from the farmer and then sells them on top of that, every hog you shoot cost him $$$ and does not want you to mess his gig up.

Trapping and shooting combined is the most effective method I have seen for hog control. Hogs get trap smart and then teach the other hogs not to go into the traps. By killing the hogs with rifles you are taking the smart ones out of the equation, and some dumb ones also.

I have cleared out hog populations with a rifle and night vision in 6 months with no traps. Did I kill them all? No but they do not know how to deal with night vision, suppressed rifles so the leave the area.

- Traps they learn.

-dogs only catch a handful.

-helicopters were great but know the hogs know to hide so they are becoming less effective.

-good shooters with suppressors and thermal/night vision, can't be patterned, can't be learned, and can't be heard coming (assuming your doing it right). That leaves one option leave the area in fear.

Then when and if new hogs Com into the area again the traps are effective. It's all a cycle.

But beware I have seen hogs leave a property for over two years after I hit them hard for a few months. You get happy farmer but not so happy hog shooter.

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like the trapper does not want to lose his income. Pretty sure he gets money from the farmer and then sells them on top of that, every hog you shoot cost him $$$ and does not want you to mess his gig up.

Trapping and shooting combined is the most effective method I have seen for hog control. Hogs get trap smart and then teach the other hogs not to go into the traps. By killing the hogs with rifles you are taking the smart ones out of the equation, and some dumb ones also.

I have cleared out hog populations with a rifle and night vision in 6 months with no traps. Did I kill them all? No but they do not know how to deal with night vision, suppressed rifles so the leave the area.

- Traps they learn.

-dogs only catch a handful.

-helicopters were great but know the hogs know to hide so they are becoming less effective.

-good shooters with suppressors and thermal/night vision, can't be patterned, can't be learned, and can't be heard coming (assuming your doing it right). That leaves one option leave the area in fear.

Then when and if new hogs Com into the area again the traps are effective. It's all a cycle.

But beware I have seen hogs leave a property for over two years after I hit them hard for a few months. You get happy farmer but not so happy hog shooter.

Todd, I really appreciate your unbiased response. And if it ever comes down to it, I will quote this to the farmer. Solid advise. Appreciate it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Todd, I really appreciate your unbiased response. And if it ever comes down to it, I will quote this to the farmer. Solid advise. Appreciate it.

For the farmers sake keep the traps, and keep shooting.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with TLM. Given their intelligence and high reproductive rates, they are impossible to eradicate. Trapping is an imperfect art, while it can greatly reduce the populations in a given area, I feel it is impossible to trap every hog. The ones that escape are educated on avoiding traps, so they can only go so far. Thermal hunting allows for precise removal (except DJ's "spray and pray" technique) of the larger, more experience and educated hogs. You may scare them away for a while, but I doubt you can drive them away perminantly.

Hogs are consistently ranked in the top 5 most intelligent mammals. Tests have shown they can outscore chimps and dogs in certain tests.

Locally, my friend caught over 100 hogs in 3 weeks in 4 different traps/locations. Trail camera photos showed hogs standing around the traps towards the end of the trapping efforts, which proves they catch on quickly.

I wouldn't be too concerned if the trapper has his panties in a wad about your attempts to kill hogs. There are more hogs than he can catch, and with 10,000 acres, there should be plenty of room for both of you.

D

djones

Now my question to you is how do you think trapping and thermal eradication should healthily work together in this situation? - yes, at least for the farmer

But do any of you honestly think it would benefit the farmer to do no thermal eradicating during Sept - April? - no

So if you were the farmer, what would you do? - he's already done it.... gave you a scope. just get written permission from him and go kill

or you could put up a life size 3d poster of scrambler. that should get rid of them. he hasn't seen a hog in 6 months

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have trapped a pile of pigs, it is tough work and you have to be pro-active always moving traps, changing baits, changing traps. I realized it is fun to do but not too lucrative. It gets me on to property I would not get on to if I just asked to hunt. BUT... it is so hit and miss and definitely the hogs learn to stay away from those traps. Hunting will certainly rid the place of Many more hogs than trapping ever will.
I had a guy that asked me to kill the beavers on his place in Montana. I used a .17 and piled them up, I met a guy on the trail with a 4 wheeler, said he was trapping them for the guy and making money off the rancher and selling the pelts......he was not happy with me. I gave him the beavers I shot and all was well with the world.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have the permission get er done. Trapping and shooting works, trapping they will get use to and then that will be done with until new hogs come into the territory. Rifles are the best. Have a friend that sets traps a bunch they catch a couple here and there and no major dent in the population. Then when they go no one hog hunts so they are happy as can be. Sounds like you need some help???:) Hint hint?? Keep up the good work and I just repeated what has been said already. Like seeing the pictures. Shoot em up, and trap also the best deal for dead porkage!!! BANG BANG!!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll add one more voice to the chorus, I agree with all that's been said.

You know who's in charge, take you're marching orders from him.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm available from Thursday to Saturday night to kill pigs this weekend.

I'm like with the other guys, you have an agreement with Mr. W, not the trapper. As long as Mr. W is happy and says it's alright, I wouldn't worry about the trapper. No need to mess with his traps or do anything to stir the pot.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll echo the chant... make the farmer as happy as you can. Let HIM be the judge of what is most effective for his property. I'd survey the most heavily populated area and let him know you're going to focus on that area first. And, if you're documenting the piles of carcasses from your efforts, he KNOWS the hogs you take care of (on his behalf) are DEAD hogs, not sold/relocated/released.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The responses you got above cover it very well. Hunting alone is very effective. Trapping alone works for a while. Combine the two processes and eradication can happen for a period of time. Ignore the trapper. Listen to the boss, the farmer, and shoot hogs!

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Went by The place dangerrandger is talking about. I seen hogs avoiding the traps with my own eyes last night. We killed 5 hogs in other parts of the same fields.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If they have the cellular cameras on the traps it's always fun to I'll the hogs while they are watching.

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If they have the cellular cameras on the traps it's always fun to I'll the hogs while they are watching.
Yeah that won't stir the fire at all.........I talked to the farmer. He has full intentions of utilizing both hunting and trapping at the same time. We are just going to discuss "assigned areas" for us to hunt and the trapper to trap.