HOG ROOTING HABITS

hans hessler

Hey Guys:
Newbe here!
Question:
Have a area in S. Okla that has a feral hog population challenge. Around 700-1000 acres.
Land is partly open grass land and the other woodland. Most, but not all of the grass land
has been rooted up by hungry piggies. Question, will da piggies return to a area that they
have heavily torn up in the past, or will they seek out new areas to root up! We want to
put up tripods up and bait a few areas, but not sure where to place them. We feel the most
damaged areas are the areas they will revisit in the future. But is that true. Could use some
sage advise from some of you veteran hog slayers.
I sure enjoy the forum site here, lots of good info. Looking forward to some help from
you guys!

Hans Hessler

D

djones

if the rooting is fresh i'd say it's a good bet they'll be back. but you never know when the last day of rooting a particular spot is going to be.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hit and miss. They will probably return but will it be tonight or next Tuesday? Other variables of course include are there buried treasures at that spot that are seasonal as some legume matures etc.. Also I have a ranch I only go to after it rains. Guarantee the next day or 2 or more, the hogs will be in the same place and it's been a few years of that. Shot a lot of hogs in that 1 corner.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my experience, once the hogs of heavily rooted in one area they don't come back for quite a while. Several of my traditionally good hunting spots have been void of hogs for several years after heavy rooting activity. The damage the hogs left is bad enough I wouldn't even think of driving my pick up truck across this field.

chthump

LSB Member
I always look for fresh rooting , then scan with thermal. But my hunts are short, still have a day job.

The pigs i hunt are very consistent about one thing,
that is not being consistent.
Hunt every night, then skip one night, they show up and tear the place up

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When we had hogs on my place they rooted up the same exact spots at basically the same time of year every year. The only time it would vary was if we changed something. They would come back and hit the areas from time to time if we baited them, but not like when they were rooting.

chthump

LSB Member
Yep, they do the same thing here, getting there annual food source, its early spring they tear up different hills and drainages around the ranch, in the spring/summer in the hay meadows, cattle pastures,croplands, fall they start hammering the deer feeders/ acorns, winter time mostly in the timber, rooting up rotten trees with grubs, then repeat.

It seems there always out on a moonless night in a rain storm.