Hog Hunting with supressors

D

djones

i shot a hog with subs in a 300 blkout once just to try it. just use them to play around now, but not for hunting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think most use supers as the subs have a high failure rate

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Regular rounds for my semi's. I only use subs when I use a bolt action. All the subs I've tried are not powerful enough to cycle the action on a semi.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think most use supers as the subs have a high failure rate

Right. Hogs are pretty tough as it is and prone to run quite far with shots that fail to anchor them, resulting in lost hogs.

Plus, most of us here are not subsistence hunting (though we harvest some of what we kill) but depredation hunting, so not just after one hog, but as many as possible. After the first shot, the sounder is still likely to run. So supersonic ammo provides better stopping power along with flatter trajectories and less leading on running hogs. It is hard enough to hit running hogs and harder to anchor them. Subsonic ammo just increases that difficulty even more.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My limited experience using sub sonic 300 blackout on hogs is that when shot in the vitals the animal doesn't even flinch. It just runs off and dies somewhere.

Most of the time I was able to find them assuming there was a blood trail, and they generally don't run that far. But it was very surprising to me that they didn't buckle, they didn't jump, they didn't flinch they didn't do anything that made you think you even get them.

D

djones

after i sighted in a buddy's blackout for him, i had to try it out on a hog. i think he gave me 130gr hog hammer ammo. i hit this hog at pretty close range but went for the high shoulder shot since i really didn't know how far he was or how much drop to expect. he took off, and i kept firing but was hitting waaay behind him. the cross hairs grabbed a little more real estate with each shot until i hit him in the ass. he spun round and round and finally stopped, and i was able to get one in the neck. when i got up to him he needed one more in the ear.

blkout%20hog_zps5ajwcjl5.jpg

scram... i thought you power cycled your semi manually???

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog.

Funny thing about the power cycling. I didn't bother to test using subs in a semi before going hog hunting one night. I came upon a sounder of about 25 hogs and thought I was going to lay waste to them. I had a big surprise when case # 1 didn't eject. I only got the first one I shot since my cussing scared the rest of them off. Too me too long to cycle the action to get a decent shot at number two.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I shoot supersonic loads too. I find that if I shoot a pig at the far side of a sounder there's a good chance they'll run towards me if I only fire one round. I think the noise of the impact on the pig might be as loud or louder than rifle shot itself. When they run towards me it's game on. I've almost been run over. Had my Trigger stick knocked over before.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jhop, that had to be fun and exciting!