Hog hunting next weekend

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Going hunting this coming weekend in south Texas, Three Rivers area. We have learned a lot over the two years we have been hunting hogs on this ranch. We have tried all of the bait concoctions you can think of. We used to show up and put out nasty soured corn with jello and kool aid and expect the hogs to just show up. That was often unproductive. We have learned to keep the feeders going year round putting plain corn on the ground three times during the night at dusk, 10pm & just before sunrise. It is the consistent food source that keeps hogs in the area and that will produce patterns to a certain extent. Game cams are a requirement. We have found that the hogs in this particular area most often show up late at night to very early in the morning. We will pour out fresh corn on the ground under the feeder when we arrive in the afternoon just to add volume because the turkeys, deer and coons can deplete the amount coming from the feeder rather quickly. At a few feeders, we have green LED lights over the feeder area that come on every night year round so the hogs are accustomed to them. We also use DIY night vision setups to take the larger hogs that refuse to come into the light. I use a .223 with hollow points to the neck or head in most cases. I also use a .270 with JSP rounds for neck and shoulder shots. We are determined to become very knowledgeable hog hunters and are learning more all the time. I will report back with pics next week.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good luck.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Experience is the best teacher. Each location has it's own particulars when it comes to hunting the nefarious devils

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good points. Keep us posted!