Hog hunting in the driving rain

LSB Active Member
The rainy season is approaching any day now. Do any of you have any increase in success by staying out in a steady rain(sans lightning of course) at night? It's already getting hot here it was 92 yesterday and we just don't see them at all in the morning or day. It's night or bust, but I'm game for rainy nights if it's a multiplier.

Thanks in advance to the hog brain trust. We are on a mission to make our deer season less hoggy come fall.....want to schwack 'em!

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
I have seen that they will usually move around a bit earlier in the night if its raining, but that's on my property might be completely different on yours.
You'll just have to find out by trial and error but I would put the odds in your favor.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Over the past 8 years, I've captured a few thousand trail camera photos of hogs hitting the bait piles during heavy rain storms. I even captured photos of hogs hitting bait piles during Hurricane Matthew. I'd say go for it.

jglass

LSB Member
I think it was November of 2016 I was in a treestand after dark and it started to rain fairly heavy. After a few minutes the rain changed over to a
drizzle. Next, the raccoons came into the bait pile and after that a hog. I tried to get a shot off but I spooked the hog and it ran off. Fifteen minutes latter I see a pair of eyes headed for the bait pile. I'm asking myself, is this a hog or another raccoon, it was another hog. Again, I spooked the hog before firing a shot. The next day I ordered my Firefield NV scope and started shooting hogs.

So, Yes, I would hog hunt in the rain. But, if you have night vision, better have a way to keep it dry.

My wild hog blind. Someday I'll put a roof on it
I have wonderful memories!!!!

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
Over the past 8 years, I've captured a few thousand trail camera photos of hogs hitting the bait piles during heavy rain storms. I even captured photos of hogs hitting bait piles during Hurricane Matthew. I'd say go for it.
No one I hunt with ever wants to go out in the rain, but I don't mind it. I sat out in int with my waterproof fishing bibs and a hooded rain coat while we were running the feeders dry for spring turkey 2x I actually enjoyed it. Going ot give it a rip starting the 24th when turkey lurkeys end.