Hog Hunting Equipment questions...

Pfletch83

I own all three gauges of Mossberg 500's the 500 A through 500 E and would like to know if the Mossberg 12 and 20 gauge guns (6-round total capacity with 18.5 inch cylinder choke barrels) would work fine with slugs and Buckshot on hogs?

I like to work close in if at all possible.

But I'm also going to build a pistol caliber carbine (Looking at the 9mm and .357 Sig calibers) and can make use of a Colt AR-15 in 5.56x45/.223 Rem.

Would I be okay running any of the stuff I just mentioned?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My suggestion is not to use buckshot and if you do, not beyond 25 yards. On a big hog, you are more hoping for a golden BB shot but the reality is more along the lines bleeding out over a prolonged period of time. Go with slugs. Remember, while you may like to work close, ranges open up fast when hogs run. You have a lot more distance capability with slugs.

Pistol caliber carbine? Small hogs and head shots would be most ideal.

AR15 in 556? Lots of people use it. Head/CNS shots are best. Some people claim good luck on shoulder shots. Some of us seemed to lose a lot of hogs shot with 556 in the shoulders and have gone to something a bit more powerful, making larger holes. If you go with this caliber, get a good penetrating and expanding hunting bullet.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Take a good look at an AR15 in 6.8 SPC for hogs. Do your homework, I suggest a barrel from a sponsoring vendor to be sure you get one with the right specs. Yes, a 5.56 will get it done, load choice appears to be more of a concern. You'll get about 70% of a .308's power in a 6.8 SPC.

Pfletch83

Thanks for the advice. How many use the .300 BLK and what has the success rate been so far (I wouldn't be using sub-sonic loads) ?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd use a 5.56 before I'd even consider one of those. It's originally intended use was for subs... for people kicking in doors.

As for the solid slugs... when I was in Alaska... 3" magnum 1 oz. Brenneke slugs were the load of choice for bears. I didn't carry buck shot.

D

djones

i shot a hog once with buckshot at 15 yards. knocked him over and i waited to see if anything else came in. after several minutes he got up and ran off. i never found him. then again, i've splattered buckshot in their face with good results. slugs do a fine job.

blackout... meahhh

good questions. also... if you want to know anything about male prostitutes or need a free testicle exam, FrankT is your goto man

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ bwhahahahahahah......

I used buckshot once. Then I switched to slugs. Slugs were great. Minus the fact it destroyed my Night Vision.
O! Be careful shooting slugs sitting in a small tree stand.
Aim Small Kill Boars!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ bwhahahahahahah......

I used buckshot once. Then I switched to slugs. Slugs were great. Minus the fact it destroyed my Night Vision.
O! Be careful shooting slugs sitting in a small tree stand.
Aim Small Kill Boars!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I personally wouldn't use a shottie for pigs, unless they where really close under 50 yards and even then I would opt for a slug to the neck. On the same note a 5.56 I could extend my range a bit say 100 yards, but then again with a good heavy bonded bullet. The 300 BLK I would use supers only, but still keep the range around 100 yards. I absolutely wouldn't even consider sub sonic ammo in 300 BLK. As for pistol caliber carbines I personally wouldn't even consider it unless they where chambered in 10mm with hot loads, but not my first choice.

My ideal choice would be a AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel, both hit harder than 5.56, 300 BLK, even 7.62x39. Over that the good ole standby's work great too, like 308, 243, 270 win, etc.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the advice. How many use the .300 BLK and what has the success rate been so far (I wouldn't be using sub-sonic loads) ?
I've used the blackout for a while and it is quite deadly inside 150 yards. I've taken over 100 hogs in the last year with it including 4 over 250lbs drt. However you need to use the expensive Barnes 110 tac-tx to maximize the killing power. Other projectiles I've tried just don't drop them the same. I have used many different projectiles in a 5.56 mini 14 on hogs since age 5 and have personally found the blackout to be far more deadly inside 150. I agree the 6.8 is superior and have now switched to it because of projectile cost and the occasional long shot. It's pretty silly how far you have to lead a running hog at over 150 yards with the blackout. I just drug my feet switching because I was spending all my lunch money on nv/thermal and the blackout was the job. I used 12g buckshot for years harnessed into the back of a '62 scout running down sounders in ag fields. It did okay on small/medium hogs up close but the big boys just sucked it up and kept trucking. I still have images burned into my memory of dried mud exploding into dust off the flanks of some monster boars at 15 yards. Hogs which we never recovered. +1 on the 6.8!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i shot a hog once with buckshot at 15 yards. knocked him over and i waited to see if anything else came in. after several minutes he got up and ran off. i never found him. then again, i've splattered buckshot in their face with good results. slugs do a fine job.

blackout... meahhh

good questions. also... if you want to know anything about male prostitutes or need a free testicle exam, FrankT is your goto man

Speaking of testicles...

big hog.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I feel like that when I drive my roto-tiller to town.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ive killed hogs with everything from a 22lr to a 577 nitro express. Anything less than a 6.8spc/6.5 grendal is a gamble on any shot that is less than perfect. The 10/22 that floats in the front seat has killed more pigs than all my other guns combined, but they were shots at 25-50yds in the head, usually as I was feeding cows or harvesting barley. I dont recommend using a 22lr or anything rim fired. At all. I would also pass on the buckshot. Slugs or something with a little horse power will serve you a lot better than pistol calibers and shot. If you have to use a 223/556, use a barnes bullet or a top tier bonded, 60+ grains. The 55s and under can kill a hog, but a lot of the time they will not penitrate the armor plate on bigger hogs.

Drift

LSB Member
My 2 cents worth.
The only consistent 12 gauge hog load I've used is tungsten shot most commonly loaded by turkey hunters. 223 is good if you only make head shots. 243 if you are assured of a head or neck shot. 6.5 Grendel works good weather head neck or plate shots for me. 7.62x39 works out to 125 yards or so. Anything bigger seems seems to have too much recoil for a quick follow up shot. Something like the 25 45 Sharps & Hart sounds near ideal to me.. Opinions vary however.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used the blackout for a while and it is quite deadly inside 150 yards. I've taken over 100 hogs in the last year with it including 4 over 250lbs drt. However you need to use the expensive Barnes 110 tac-tx to maximize the killing power. Other projectiles I've tried just don't drop them the same. I have used many different projectiles in a 5.56 mini 14 on hogs since age 5 and have personally found the blackout to be far more deadly inside 150. I agree the 6.8 is superior and have now switched to it because of projectile cost and the occasional long shot. It's pretty silly how far you have to lead a running hog at over 150 yards with the blackout. I just drug my feet switching because I was spending all my lunch money on nv/thermal and the blackout was the job. I used 12g buckshot for years harnessed into the back of a '62 scout running down sounders in ag fields. It did okay on small/medium hogs up close but the big boys just sucked it up and kept trucking. I still have images burned into my memory of dried mud exploding into dust off the flanks of some monster boars at 15 yards. Hogs which we never recovered. +1 on the 6.8!

Pretty much my experience with the 300. If black tip were cheaper I'd stil be shooting it. I switched to 6.8 as well and with 120sst it is a better one shot killer in general. But, we all know that 1 out of 4-5 hogs is going to take going to absorb hits and keep running. I used to trap a lot and play hog trap skeet, letting pigs out and blasting them with a shotty. 00 tactical was a joke and 2 3/4" wasn't great in large hogs. 3" worked inside of 30 yards but I switched to a Marlin 44 and 240 jsp; it hammered them pretty good but I don't play those reindeer games anymore. At night I load in the 6.8 5 or so 120s and the rest cheap 90gr gold dots. Kill a boar or alpha sow first then shoot up the rest and don't worry about it.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree what most are saying. I also think it depends on your hunting situation. Are u sitting in a blind over a feeder? Are u spot and stalk hunting? Hunting for meat or eradication? What's the land you're hunting like? Open? Heavily covered? What's your average shooting distance? Are you hunting at night or in he morning/evening?

For 12 ga- A rifled barrel/scope combo will allow u to shoot hogs with confidence past 100 yards using sabot slugs (I like the 300 grain sst at 2000 fps. Otherwise federal truball or been eke slugs. Buck shot only for trapped or super close shots.

5.56- if you must, I suggest the Barnes TSX bullets (come in 70, 62, and 55 grain. I've ready 70 perform best) but there are better choices out there in the same ar15 platform
6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel being most popular in the ar15 platform..7.62x39 and .300 Bo have more knockdown power and leave a bigger hole than a 5.56 but are only good for about 150 yards before they really start losing trajectory and power but still 6.8 and 6.5 will hit harder, and shoot flatter.
Pistol caliber carbines.. No go.