Hog Hunt On Exotics High Fence Ranch

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I returned to Elk Springs Ranch. The cool thing about hunting hogs in a high fence ranch is that you are basically in a cage with them. You know they are there and it is just a matter of finding them. They can go no farther than the fence. Of course, with with canyons and such, finding them can be pretty tough.

I set up under some trees so that I would be hidden from the moon. I was watching an open area and hoping they would come to water. They didn't, but did pass there.

Just a note on the scimitar oryx, they do have 2 horns. The horns are long and fragile and it is not uncommon for one to get broken off.

Instead of sending flowers, please send that money to the relief agency of your choice to help the hurricane victims.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot on that hog! Happy Hunting!

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect size for smoking, when's the party?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It may take you some time to get all those hogs out of there!!:) BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It may take you some time to get all those hogs out of there!!:) BANG BANG!!

Yeah, I am not likely to be the end all solution. The owner shoots them when he sees them during the day (and has shot several). He has a couple of guys that come in and help out and he has allowed them to go after them. When he has clients, which is only part of the year, he encourages them to shoot them (no fees for shooting hogs). However, all that is daytime hunting. I am providing some additional night pressure.

A hole was created in the fence in February. Hogs got in then. Hole was open only for a short time and found during normal fence maintenance activities. However, it was open long enough.

The uniform small size of the shoats in this vid would indicate that they were born inside the fence...not good.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Hog dogs usually work pretty good to move the hogs to a corner of the property(depending on the size).
Then shooters clean up the rest. I helped out as a shooter when Monty ran some hog dogs thru a property and flushed out a few runners that dogs couldn't catch. The hogs were fast, but they couldn't out run a bullet :p. With a bunch of shoats trying 12ga with ir laser using buck shot and a helmet mounted pvs 14 would probably be effective. Only down side of being effective is not having any hogs around to shoot :(.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unfortunately, hog dogs are not an option. I specifically asked about that because a fenced property is excellent for dogs given that the hogs are basically inside a big cage. The owner has consulted with three different hogdoggers and none could provide assurance that the dogs won't go after the exotics.

A trapper was tried for a while. The trap caught several of the fallow deer and such, but no hogs.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Just shows the hogs are smarter then the other critters ;)
If no breeding boars got in then number won't increase till the shoats get to breeding age.
This will give you time to knock them off :cool:

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting that no larger sows showed. Maybe you got her earlier?
RIP DVR ♥

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to make a hog trap that keeps hogs trapped in and allows exotics to jump out, sold some to exotic ranches with good results. I designed it after catching deer and turkeys, when they get caught it usually is bad news, they can kill themselves or get really tore up trying to escape.