Hog feeders

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For hog hunting feeders you can use a couple of different types of corn feeders. A barrel feeder works well because most hog hunters also like to hunt deer. So, it becomes a multi purpose tool in your hunting arsenal. Hogs will destroy these feeders if you don't use t-post to stake down the legs. Ive had legs bent and feeders just pushed over. Notice the feeder below they had bent the legs and knocked off the motor. A little duct tape and t-post saved the day until it could be fixed.

Another type of hog hunting feeder is a pig pipe or barrel feeder. What is a pig pipe/hog barrel? It’s a piece of 4″ PVC pipe or a plastic barrel with holes in it and a chain to attach it to a t-post that you put in the ground. The hogs will kick the pipe around and knock the corn out of it.

Pig pipes and barrels are great for hog hunting because the hogs start feeding and you can usually hear them from some distance. This way you know before you get to the feeder if the hogs are there or not. And the hogs will stay at your feeder for way longer periods.

Another popular method for hog hunting feeders is to dig a post hole about 3′ deep and fill it with corn a little ways then some dirt ontop of that. Repeat until the hole is filled in. The idea behind this is that the hogs will have to basically work one at a time to get at the corn and this will hold them over the bait for a longer period of time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hole with soured corn is a great way to allow the hogs to dig a pond for you, as they dig I keep repeating in the center of the hole...Have ended up w a hole 12' wide and 6' deep...LOL

coondog

LSB Member
I use to set a feeder on top of a trap and make the feeder dump down into the trap. Let the hogs get use to the trap and then set it. These are two hogs I got out of this trap. This is my buddy hamming it up for the camera. I put something around the feeder motor so when it goes off, the corn hits the shield and drops down in the trap. This one time I used a traffic cone that I cut to make it fit.

016.JPG 015.JPG

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! I've been thinking of getting one of the trailer hitch feeders with the remote cable so you can feed while driving. Would work really well on some of the ranches I hunt were the only clearing is the ranch road.

coondog

LSB Member
I should have added I wire the door open. so the hogs can go in eat corn and then leave. After about a week of that then I set the trap. TLM I have a feeder like that on a bike I have down south. I put 50lbs of corn on a sendero one afternoon and the next morning all the corn was gone. I just needed to be there that night. LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I should have added I wire the door open. so the hogs can go in eat corn and then leave. After about a week of that then I set the trap. TLM I have a feeder like that on a bike I have down south. I put 50lbs of corn on a sendero one afternoon and the next morning all the corn was gone. I just needed to be there that night. LOL

Ha! Best of plans!!!!

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use to set a feeder on top of a trap and make the feeder dump down into the trap. Let the hogs get use to the trap and then set it. These are two hogs I got out of this trap. This is my buddy hamming it up for the camera. I put something around the feeder motor so when it goes off, the corn hits the shield and drops down in the trap. This one time I used a traffic cone that I cut to make it fit.

View attachment 182 View attachment 181

The traffic cone idea is great! I can see that being used on one of my feeders in the near future.

Smitty

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I likes that notion of gettin' 'em used to going in... then WHAM.... gotcha !

Soonlobo

LSB Member
1375921203.jpg

We've had very good luck with the Monarch Crown 12' deer feeder.

They are out of Arlington and make great products. We have two of them and one has been running just about continuously for 2 and 1/2 years with no problems.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use all of the methods TLM talked about. At first I didn't T-post the legs down and I had a couple of feeders get knocked over. Sometimes, even the t-posts don't help. I have pictures of a big boar slowly pushing his body up a feeder leg until it buckled and the feeder toppled over. He proceeded to push the feeder barrel around until he got all the corn he could. Then he nosed the motor until he ripped it off, go the battery out and drug it 20 yards away.

My worst enemy for feeders are cattle. They are the hardest thing to keep from destroying a feeder. I have had to build fences to keep the cattle out and let the hogs in still by cutting smaller holes at the bottom of the fence. I hate cattle! They bump the motors with their heads or rub on the legs and t-post until the feeder is knocked over. Then they push the barrel around until they get as much corn as they can. Stupid cows are pretty determined when it comes to feed during a drought.

The pig pipe and the pig holes are my two favorites now. They cattle don't mess with them too much and they tend to hold the pigs longer with using less bait. Once trick for a pig pipe is to create a "false" chamber inside of it and put rocks in it. The rocks will roll around and sound like there is still corn in it and keep the hogs attention for a little bit even when it is empty. The smell of of the corn is still in the pipe and they still get the sound of it when they kick it, but there isn't any corn. Make sure you stake the pig pipe into the ground well and have multiple swivels in the chain or cable. A swivel is required where the chain meets the stake and where the chain meets the pipe. Without these the chain or cable will kink and the hogs will not be able to kick the pipe around as easily. The pipe also must be able to roll on its circumference in order for the corn to come out of the holes. I've found that three to four 3/8" diameter holes or two-three 1/2" diameter holes works best. Too much bigger or too many more and the corn comes out too fast and they will empty it in a night or two.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I put the bells on my barrels as someone suggested, does not seem to bother them at all. Found the barrels broken loose and side by side 100yds away where the hogs had rolled them, need new hardware...LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like that idea of givin' 'em rocks to listen to. LOL Great idea.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog Rock-n-Roll !!! (Now, spend the day with visuals of a sow flippin' her tail at ya and hearing: "Play that funky music white boy....")

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did that hog live through chernobyl?