Hog calls

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not. I have called in hogs by mouth though. I have also run hogs off calling by mouth so maybe a call would be worth trying.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we all got the hama slama or somethng like that, cannot find it anymore, it was a very loud one and worked ok

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One of the guys I hunt with has one I believe. It works some of the time, some of the time it doesn't. We've seen sounders react to it in a bad way. On the other hand we've seen the lead hog come charging at us too, followed by the rest of the sounder. Even seen one bunch up under a tree and just stay put. Prolly has something to do with the confidence of the lead pig.

BobbyRatTail

One of the guys I hunt with has one I believe. It works some of the time, some of the time it doesn't. We've seen sounders react to it in a bad way. On the other hand we've seen the lead hog come charging at us too, followed by the rest of the sounder. Even seen one bunch up under a tree and just stay put. Prolly has something to do with the confidence of the lead pig.
Holy smokes, lead hog came charging!? That's terrifying... Now I'm definitely getting one. :)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of the guys I hunt with has one I believe. It works some of the time, some of the time it doesn't.

All calling sort of works this way. Glenn Guess of Hog Zombies has a video on calling hogs on Youtube (HogZombies is the user name). Something critical that a lot of people who call hogs will fail to understand is that they have a fairly well developed set of calls that have particular meanings. If you can learn what different calls mean, then you are more apt to be successful in your calling and will reduce your chances of running hogs off because you made the wrong call.

BobbyRatTail

All calling sort of works this way. Glenn Guess of Hog Zombies has a video on calling hogs on Youtube (HogZombies is the user name). Something critical that a lot of people who call hogs will fail to understand is that they have a fairly well developed set of calls that have particular meanings. If you can learn what different calls mean, then you are more apt to be successful in your calling and will reduce your chances of running hogs off because you made the wrong call.
Nice! I'll be sure to watch his video. I'm stoked that I found this forum. Tons of knowledge here I plan to soak up like a sponge!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah make the wrong call sends a DANGER or run message, could be counter productive

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I just ordered a foxpro with the pig sounds, going to give that a whirl.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just ordered a Foxpro also. Comes with 3 or 4 pig calls preloaded. I bought it specifically for predator calling but if it works for pig I will give it a try. Just have to find the pigs though. I might have a line on some in eastern Oregon. Might have to light of the call sometime after a yote set.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got the foxpro.... Works great for coyotes. Tried the hog sounds about 6 times, never seen a hog

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:eek:I don't dare try one... my neighbor would accuse me of trying to make time with his wife.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Had them charge all the way to the truck several times. Even have a dent in the truck to prove it! Some of them get pissed off and charge in hard.
Is that dent from you trying to scramble back to the truck or the hog???

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The hog, one of my hunting partners was shooting at it at point blank range. I'm sure at some point the green Wicked W400 had to have an effect on what it could see. Prolly just kepy running forward when he started shooting at it from 10-15 yards away from him.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When you hear them popping their jaws as they come in be preparing for them to come in close. We normally have at least one person on a gun pointed at them with another person on the night vision or thermal keeping at an eye open for them. Not everyone has night vision/thermal during my hunts. So often times we use lights. It can be a surprise to see them 10-20 yards right in front of you when the lights come on!