Help tips input please. Foxpro hellfire

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heading out to the ranch for a few days.. Finally.
This will be my first time using the Foxpro Hellfire E caller. The land developer out there has some properties that need some coyotes bobcats foxes hogs etc eradicated. I've got some bait spots I'll be checking for hogs and some stands I'll be doing. Some predator calling from.
I get the basic functionality of it, but I'm looking for recommendations on how to use it. How long to call for with one sound before switching to something else. Stuff like that. Thanks in advance!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For the immediate, I'd have the caller at least 25yds. upwind of my location I'd be shooting from. That should help to keep the predator's attention on the source of the sound location. This should help you to enhance your stealth. 'Yotes will want to circle down wind, watch for that. Cats will tend to sit at the edge of cover and watch/assess. Watch for more subtle behavior from them along those areas. The volume should be no louder than the real animal would emit while crying out. Having the volume a little lower than that will help to fool the animal into thinking they haven't moved in close enough yet.

'Yotes appear to have a language which they use. Different calls have different meanings. Randy Anderson's DVDs on Calling Coyotes are very good for learning this behavior. In times passed, he's partnered up with the "The Truth" series of videos by call makers: Primos Calls. Some of the calls are: Greeting, Challenge, Pup in Distress, Lonely Female, Call to Hunt, Sentry/Warning... The higher the pitch (generally) the younger the animal. The lower the pitch (generally) a more dominant male. I'd highly recommend getting/watching some of his videos... and, you get to watch some good hunting action too.

As they come in, I'd decrease the volume/frequency of the call. M'be transition to a squeak as they get close. If they bust you and start to run, often a bark/howl can be enough to get them to stop and look so you can take a shot.

I'd keep quiet after a solid hit/kill, another may appear to investigate the noise made by the hit animal, you may get an opportunity at a double for your set.

Good luck, and knock 'em all dead !!

Wish I was going. I'm stuck with book work this week, and tweaking templates for someone's knife sheath. I'm liking what I'm coming up with thus far.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All good points! I never call more than 15 min for yotes and 30 min for cats. A dead hog is good bait!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For the past week I've been collecting customers uneaten food and expired kitchen food from a sports bar. I have 7 3-5 gallon buckets full of dead crawfish chicken burger swings fries fried food cherry juice beer soda etc. hopefully the smell will bring in some unwanted vermin. It's certainly brought in horse flies. A car even rolled up their windows at a red light yesterday. Lol

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Personally, I prefer chips to bring along as snacks. LOL

Heck, with that selection of bait buckets... you might even lure in some hogs hanging in the area. Bears up around this area would love it too.

Also, for immediate... search some YouTube videos from Randy Anderson , Calling all Coyotes... here's one from Field and Stream.

I think some of the hindrances with calling 'yotes are when using random calls which aren't part of the "conversation" being uttered by a responding 'yote. The 'yotes probably end up with a "hey, they no habla right... I ain't fallin' for 'dat." The young/dumb ones aren't as savvy. Getting an alpha male/female within a pack probably increases your odds for follow-up sets for the younger pack members too (just like what TLM describes with hogs).

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
other than a locator call I never use yote sounds, always a wounded rabbit or other squeal sound, that way I cannot say the wrong thing. Start on a lower volume too too loud can scare them away, they can hear long distances, you do have a moving decoy too?

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't have a decoy frank. Suggestions on a quality affordable one?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't forget camo. I always wear half gloves and something on my face to cover my white skin.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't have a decoy frank. Suggestions on a quality affordable one?
A length of stick, some string, and a feather can get the job done. Poke it in the soil next to the call and let the breeze do the work. Also helps you to see whether there's a change in wind direction too.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't forget camo. I always wear half gloves and something on my face to cover my white skin.
Does a feller need to plan to camo his butt too (in case he needs to answer a different call)?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does a feller need to plan to camo his butt too (in case he needs to answer a different call)?
Camo Toilet Paper is required for such things!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
your Hellfire has one that goes with it from FoxPro and makes it move too I believe.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
your Hellfire has one that goes with it from FoxPro and makes it move too I believe.
Frank sets his up and dances while watching it move. He told me so... really, he did. (Don't throw your back out Frank)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do, that is why I have missed the shot, dancing while pulling the trigger does not work

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
2 hogs down. No predators came in... Yet. Only got video of the 2nd hog. Video and story later. Nights not over

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Fox Pro came with a Moving piece what wiggles back and forth. Not sure what to call,it. The thing for us here in NC we have yotes but not all,over the place. I have called many times with out any yotes coming because none were in the neiborhood.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a motion lure. A piece of fur, or a feather on it and let it wave/wiggle. Gives them something to visually focus on, less of a chance to be looking for YOU.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That all makes perfect logical sense. And thanks for the added input!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No decoy to put on it? what RD said works, it is a distraction.