Help: need a sheath

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good idea, just have no one to hand down to...I am the last. He has a Naval Air Station named after him so I guess that will have to do...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I always worry it will close. I did donate his memorabilia to the National Naval Air Museum in Pensacola but I was not happy with their handling of the articles. It is just a Marine combat knife, common issue, so will just give it to someone before I croak.

marineimaging

LSB Member
Sorry the museum didn't handle his materials with the respect they were due. I had one that looked just like that from my grandfather that we carried around as kids all the time up at his place on the Angelina River. After he passed away mom sold the place and I haven't seen much from there except that I did get his old .38. He had it as a Deputy Sheriff in Pt. Arthur, TX when the ship exploded in Texas City. He said that the site looked almost like he was back in Germany when he and a chance to see it first hand. I hope you find someone worthy to pass it to. I will also keep an eye open here in Cypress and at church for someone that does leather and see if they can do it justice.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks.
I gave the museum one of his jacket patches and had another. A preacher got on the USS Essex page and saw all my Dad's things I posted, showed it to his Dad and he had flown w Dad. He wanted to borrow the patch I had to get a replica made for a flight jacket he was having made for his Father. I sent it but added a note that it was a gift for his Dad to honor him, I knew my Dad would want me to do it, you could hear the tears over the phone and I know my Dad was smilin!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The sheath is dry rotted, been in a trunk all these years, tears like paper
I understand, but if the repop is identical, I can get a better idea of construction and share an opinion or two for you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
oh ok, will do in the morning and post it, photo bucket is down so is the upload a file directly.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Otay, I got time. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Piece of cake to install a metal belt clip on that. Contact cement the existing leather (loop for the belt) together, drill holes for the mounting rivets and rivet the clip on. Variation... rivet to the back half of leather, cement the two afterwards to conceal the rivet heads from the front.

Or... cut the back of the leather loop, stitch on an overlapping tab and install snaps to don/remove w/o belt removal.

Or... if you like a "dangler" type sheath, install a ring to hold the loop, add another leather loop to the ring that has snaps installed to don/remove. A rivet to keep it affixed to the ring.

Or... Cut the leather (back side of the loop), overlapping tab with Velcro stitched to it instead of snaps.

Just a few options off the top of my head.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks! I can have a Kydex one made for $26 locally, I might do that?

marineimaging

LSB Member
Ratdog/Dusting, what about installing the clip on the backside of the loop with rivets like you said. Then match the punch and rivet spacing and lace and rivet up each side of the loop to close the loop altogether? If you are still interested.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll let TheBlakester post up the detailed pix of his knife/sheath. It arrived to my doorstep this afternoon. I've drawn up a spec sheet to work from as I build him a new sheath, and I picked up some materials this afternoon. As soon as he makes up his mind on the last design feature options, I'll begin a "How-to" tale (with pix) as I construct his new sheath. So far, he's elected for:

Right Hip Worn
Blade Edge Forward
Darker Color Leather
Don/Remove w/o having to remove his belt.

Still to decide upon is whether it'll be a Dangler (handle below belt line), mid-rise (handle at belt line), or high-rise (handle above belt line). The other addition I'm suggesting is to have a loop added to one edge of the sheath to house a firesteel (ferro cerium rod). Haven't heard a definite yea/nay on this one though.

Due to his knife being of a Clip Point (tip) design, which sweeps upward... I'm not too keen on simply folding over a piece of leather and stitching it together along one edge (with a welt). But, this will be more of a laminate design. Meaning, the two halves of the sheath (body side, outward side) will be separate pieces with a full welt all the way around it, and stitched all the way around. This will promote the ability to sheath the knife w/o cutting folded over leather... or the stitching. If this knife were a Drop Point tip, then folding over a single piece of leather and stitching with a welt would be a good option. A welt is a strip of leather laminated between the two halves (or edges of a folded over single piece) of leather... glued and stitched through all three layers. The welt protects the stitching from getting cut. My Case Old Timer knife is a clip point knife, is of a stitched/laminate designed sheath... but, it has no welt. I've had to already re-stitch the sheath once already (due to the clip point cutting the stitches).

This should be a fun build. Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd continue with this thread to keep it all tied together.

I'm hoping Blake's able to dig some more background info from his dad. What I know now is... Blake lives in Texas, his grandfather acquired the knife while working in Alaska. It'd be great to learn what his work was while he was there, and M'be where in Alaska he was at. I'm going to guess he was working on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline construction/Oilfield work? Nosey Ratdogs wanna know.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From photobucket is it the direct, HTML or IMG link? I always forget

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's probably the IMG link It'll have [ img ] preceding the link, and have [ /img ] after the link.

And, it looks like we're going with a mid-rise, with a ferro rod loop. Time to finalize my plan of attack now.

Last edited:

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big thanks to ratdog for taking on this project and giving such good advice and asking all the right questions. Big help!

Unfortunately my dad doesn't know any other information about specifically where in Alaska my grandfather was working and where/how he acquired the knife. I still plan to ask my aunt. I doubt she knows, but she may be able to pint me to some older relatives that may know more.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey... your "Knives of Alaska" paired set (not the big chopper)... I have the same ones. Bought mine used, need to replace one of the rivets on the sheath. I was going to get some rivets for it today, but, forgot to bring the knives/sheath with me... so, another trip to get those another day. Mine has a sharpening steel that fits in a little pocket alongside the smaller knife. I tied little "pull" lanyards on mine (knives/steel). Made it from Hunter Orange cordage to help them stand out if laid down on the ground. Just a simple, small loop with a lanyard knot for decoration. The sheath for both of your "Knives of Alaska" are simply Oiled Leather finish, no dye. It's "Veg-Tan" leather (same type of leather I'll be making your sheath from). It accepts tooling/stamping very well.

LOL... I could've just piggy-backed a sheath for your grandfather's knife, stitched onto your chopper's sheath so you could double them up as a pair also.

So... in the interest of things matching... if you like the color of the Oiled Leather, I can make your sheath to that approximate color. If you prefer something a little darker, I'll dye it and spec the brand/type of dye used... then, if you want, you can add a little Neetsfoot Oil to your "Knives of Alaska" sheaths, put some of the same dye on them, and more oil afterwards to darken them up yourself. Just some stuff to kick around in the planning stages of things.

Last edited:

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank u RD. that sounds like a perfect idea. I think I can handle darkening up the knives of Alaska sheathes to match the one you are making for me with a little instruction and maybe the help of YouTube.

I called my cousin and he said my grandfather had an old Alyeska pipeline hat. That may have been where he was working while in Alaska. He said his mom, my aunt, would probably know more bc "she likes to remember stuff like that"
I left her a voicemail and hope to hear from her this week sometime.