Help me work out my nv game plan por favor

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To help zeroing the Crimson Trace and UNI-IR lasers, I came up with a method to mount the PVS 14 behind my day scope. The trick is to get the centers of the day scope's ocular lens and the PVS14 objective lens to match up. If you go to this link, my post is half way down (same screen name). Once the laser is zeroed, I remove the day scope and lose 24 ounces. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/375155_pvs14_behind_day_scope.html

As long as you know the day scope is zeroed, it makes for a very easy and quick way to zero or verify IR lasers.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Taco,

I went to the AB NV website and "discovered" that apparently the mount works with the PVS mounted portion with the dovetail facing either toward the muzzle or toward the butt. They have a couple of photos of the dovetail facing rearward or forward. How I missed that is a mystery, but it would mean that I can move my EO Tech back onto the receiver... At least I think so. I will take a look this evening.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Taco,

I went to the AB NV website and "discovered" that apparently the mount works with the PVS mounted portion with the dovetail facing either toward the muzzle or toward the butt. They have a couple of photos of the dovetail facing rearward or forward. How I missed that is a mystery, but it would mean that I can move my EO Tech back onto the receiver... At least I think so. I will take a look this evening.

JPK

Can you post a few pics of the mount and pvs like you said.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Still waiting for the PVS, and the one I've been using was returned to it's owner, but I'll take photos of the mount later this evening or early tomorrow. Cooking (grilling) dinner right now!

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No big deal. Whenever. Might just order one.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Took some photos using a TP cardboard roll as a pretend PVS 14.

The BUIS's on my rifle interfere with mounting the AB NV base so the portion of the mount attached to the PVS 14 slides in from the rear. You can see this in the photos.

Without BUIS'S thenPVS 14 would slide in from the rear.

I will post them as soon as I get the chance.

JOK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Finally got the photos posted to Photobucket. Hope they help.

As you can see, the BUIS's interfere with mounting the PVS from the rear.

JPK

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I can afford one of those. What is the effective range?:)

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey, that's pretty good. About the same as my 3X12 X sight then???

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey, that's pretty good. About the same as my 3X12 X sight then???

Do you have one of the newer one w the focal ring and where everything works?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
My setup, I don't like having the scope mount on the handguard, which makes the PVS eyepiece back far, but I can move forward and check accuracy

155968154.jpg

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I used a weapons mounted PVS14 for a number of years as have my friends. They all broke eventually from the recoil of a 556. I no longer recommend you mount one on a rifle. Get a dedicated optic for the rifle and use the 14 for navigating.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
My pvs is a thin filmed pinnacle tube, never any problems. Used it in the 6.8, 223, 7.62x40WT etc

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You weren't asking me but; mine does have the focal ring and other than shutting off from recoil i havent had any issues. I removed the o-ring from the battery cap and it fixed that issue as well. It would seem they have the previous issues ironed out. picked mine up for $485.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Lancer, where did you get it from?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To help zeroing the Crimson Trace and UNI-IR lasers, I came up with a method to mount the PVS 14 behind my day scope. The trick is to get the centers of the day scope's ocular lens and the PVS14 objective lens to match up. If you go to this link, my post is half way down (same screen name). Once the laser is zeroed, I remove the day scope and lose 24 ounces. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/375155_pvs14_behind_day_scope.html

As long as you know the day scope is zeroed, it makes for a very easy and quick way to zero or verify IR lasers.

You need to start posting some of your stuff here where we can talk about it without fear of getting hit with the Bias hammer.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank,

Yes mine has a focal ring on the 3x, the early models did not. None of them, "have everything that works." They are trying to address the issues one by one, and as they do something else doesn't work as well. Right now the big complaint is the auto dimming. But there are still lots of issues, and little communication from ATN. One member on another forum has filed with the Texas Attorney Generals office, as neither the seller or ATN will refund his money.