Help me work out my nv game plan por favor

JPK

LSB Active Member
Well, got through to Delta 4-3 and his website should be up and running, hopefully by the end of the week. He has a web guy working on it.

He does have some very good options on PVS 14's at very fair prices right now, and I think one will be headed my way shortly.

Taco, you ought to give him a call.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Taco wants to own the silky black darkness of night. Taco just ordered a bunch of S from NCS. Taco is now broke as a son of B. Thanks txlawman and all you other vondrukes for putting me in the poor house.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Luck Taco!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... ... I really thought and hoped that I could skip the PVS 14 setting up my night hunting program, but I listened to every experienced opinion and to a man the advice was start with the PVS 14. ... ...

I went through the same process ... I wanted to skip 14 ... and get more clipons ... but somehow I listened and got one 14 and then a second ... two is one ... if a team member forgets their 14 then I have one to share ... dual 14s is great for driving ... I usually exceed day speed (I guess I drive like a FARMER in the day) ...

What can a 14 do?

01 - handheld monocular
I've been using it like this lately on a homemade lanyard, as I don't want to drop it. It is very convenient. If I don't need it, it is around my neck waiting. If I need it I can have it up to either eye in seconds.

02 - Driving
This is the use case I missed in my thinking. I can drive the buggy at full speed most times with one or both 14s I can scan left and right while rolling. I can usually see the deer with the 14s while driving and can then stop and take DVR of them with the thermal.

03 - Helmet mounted
When 1-2 14s are on the helmet I am hands free, then one hand on the rifle and maybe the other hand holding shooting stick. Can't do that without a 14.

04 - Weapons mounted
It is good to have this flexibility, though I don't use it much. Behind eotech it is useful to help co-witness the ir-laser, that is probably how I use it most. But if you need a backup i^2 device on .22LR or .223 it is good to have this option.

05 - Photographs
14 can be mounted to a phone for taking stills or videos.

06 - Spotter
14 can be mounted behind a spotter to enable spotter to be used at night ...

==
I am probably forgetting some uses, but these are the ones that come to mind. The one word summary is FLEXIBILITY the 14 can be used in many ways and you will probably find some news ones once you get one.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Taco wants to own the silky black darkness of night. Taco just ordered a bunch of S from NCS. Taco is now broke as a son of B. Thanks txlawman and all you other vondrukes for putting me in the poor house.

Oh nooooooo dont put this on us, we just answered your questions! Lol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Taco's got it Baaaaad... Taco's got it Baaaaad... Taco's got it Baaaaad...

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have a complete PVS-14 setup i'll sell you

Gen 3 PVS=14 ITT Pinnacle tube, flawless
3x magnifier
Eotech EXPS3-0
Eotech 3x Magnifier with side flip and QR mount
Extra covers, lenses
DLoc mount with QR
Helmet and mounts
hard case
excellent condition for all

140611571.jpg

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Taco is feeling free and loose. All constraints have been lifted. There are no more barriers or hindrances. There isn't anything to fear anymore. Taco will have the tools to walk up to darkness and give her a real smart A over done handshake and a little pat on the A. It'll be so blatant that darkness will be half bewildered and half intrigued. As for the hogs, they will simply die.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok boys, last thought I have. Like I said I'll be alone a vast majority of the time. I'm thinking put the otal-c on another rifle. Do I really need the ir laser on a thermal scoped rifle? For guest hunting I'll have helmet mounted pvs14 and an AR with otal. Guest will have nothing till we get in range and I take Zeus equipped rifle and hand to them when it's time to party. Or do I need to gigilo myself a few more nights and get a second ir laser? I don't really want to weapon mount the pinnacle. Guest will have been given a tutorial on the scope. I'll be able to practice with ir quite a bit so I think it would be safer.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Does anyone make IR marker calf ear tags? If not I'm taking credit for the idea. That and the talking thermal scope.

JPK

LSB Active Member
FWIW,

A fellow who hunts with a number of guests suggested mounting and co-witnessing an IR laser on a thermal scanner or on a rifle with a thermal scope so that the host (him, or in your situation, you) can point out the appropriate target to the guest. Since you don't want to weapon mount the PVS 14 on the guest rifle, the guest rifle will need a second IR laser so that the guest can put his or her laser on the target you are designating with your laser.

If it were me (and it will be shortly!,) I would get either an AB Night Vision or DLoc or similar PVS QD weapon mount for the guest rifle. These mounts are attached to the lock ring behind the PVS 14's objective focus ring and stay on the PVS 14 when an arm for helmet mounting is used. So a relatively quick transition from your helmet to the guest rifle can be made. Here is a link to a DLoc and another similar mount: https://www.modarmory.com/product-c...ision-accessories/night-vision-weapon-mounts/ Here is a link to the AB NV mount: http://www.abnightvision.com/#!products/c1wmo/products/quick-detach-weapon-mount

I have an AB NV mount I bought in anticipation of weapon mounting a PVS 14. Plusses are it is easy to use and can easily be done by feel. Minus is that the PVS needs to be mounted about 1" behind the rear of an EO Tech or Aimpoint if you use one since the AB NV mount is attached to it's base (already installed on the rifle's rail) from the front i.e. muzzle end, of the rifle and that clearance is required to position the PVS so the portion of the mount attached to the PVS will slide into the dovetail receptacle of the rifle mounted base. With a PVS alone it really isn't an issue, but with a 3x magnifier on the PVS 14 and BUIS, the EO Tech ends up forward of the receiver, so a good free float tube with a stout mounting system is required.

I used a DLoc mount this weekend. It is not quite so easy to use and takes several tries to get properly locked onto the rail, at least this one did. But it requires no extra clearance between the PVS or 3x magnifier and an EO Tech or Aimpoint since it attached from the top.

Hope this helps.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Btw, to keep cost in check, you could go with Laser Max lasers. Guy who I know using them report they work well. They do not have the robust construction of some more expensive units from what I have been told.

JPK

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Jpk, good thoughts and info. Reading up on those weapon mounts. Already have an otal on the way but do need a second laser I think.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thinking about the lasers, since I am going to want one, I think the LaserMax could be mounted directly in front of or maybe under the objective lens of the thermal on your rifle, which would be a fairly protected place to mount it, as opposed to out toward the end of the hand guard (unless you have an M4 style front sight.) That would also make the switch easy to reach and eliminate the need for the pig tail switch.

The more robust OTAL could go on the guest rifle.

What I foresee is mounting the LaserMax on my rifle, which will be thermal equipped, and using the laser to designate targets for my son or guests, who will have a weapon mounted PVS 14 plus 3x magnifier and an EO Tech. So, hopefully, no son or guest doubling on targets or shooting the wrong one, or having trouble finding the right target.

Also, I would be happy to snap a few photos of how the AB NV mount works. Their photos don't do much in that regard and when I got the mount in the mail I was both pleasantly surprised at how easy the mount is to use and a little concerned that it required mounting the EO Tech so far forward.

JPK

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I have two laser-max ir-lasers ... I've been using them for about a year now on 5.56, 7.62 and .22LR MSRs.

http://smile.amazon.com/Lasermax-LM...1430249333&sr=8-1&keywords=laser-max+IR-laser

Pros:
-Low Cost
-Small, light

Cons:
-More "bloom" than my CT lasers at short distances, like under 50yds. This can be mitigated by turning on ir-illuminator affixed to side of helmet at lowest power with concentrated beam. Knocks the bloom out.
-Requires tiny allen wrench to turn for elevation and windage. Takes lots of practice to do in the field quickly without making noise (your mouth tends to utter expletives until you get the process down pat :D ). Wrap painters tape around the tiny wrenches to avoid losing them when you drop them ... you will drop them (thanks Aaron! (( who didn't follow his own advice IIRC !! :D )) ). I have zeroed these lasers in the field several dozen times and have not (yet) lost either of the tiny wrenches.
-Requires regular "cleaning" ... i.e. removal of "rust" and "build up" from inside the battery compartment, basically every time you change the batteries. I do not think they are water proof. I do use them in the rain and snow. They do work, but I advise changing batteries and cleaning them out before doing anything important - and re-zeroing - the FUN part !!!

==

In general, I get tighter groups with the lasers than I do with the thermal, not sure why, this is out to 100yds standing unsupported type shooting.

Recommend getting the pressure pad for an extra $50 or so. Now if I would just follow my own advice!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... Do I really need the ir laser on a thermal scoped rifle? ...

Short answer: YES.

What do you do if the thermal fails? If the conditions are so bad you can't see the hogs for a moment ... and what if you've already walked up into a group of them before you realize your thermal isn't working! You turn on the IR-laser and get back in business! If you remembered to put it on the rifle and zero it before hand !!!

The ir-laser is your backup aiming system ... sort of like your "iron sights of darkness" ...