Helmet mounted night vision/thermal

Rookie

LSB Member
Is anyone using a helmet mounted night vision/thermal device? If so, do you recommend night vision or thermal? Why? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I use both ... I think 99.999% do not recommend both ... so I am the 0.001% ... but I just use what works for me ...

==
First combination is PVS-14 with PAS-29.
The PAS-29 clips on to the PVS-14 and has a "periscope" to present the thermal image to the user through the PVS-14.
The strength of this setup is speed. You can detect and engage with the ir-laser faster than you can shoulder the rifle and aim through a weapon mounted thermal ... and you don't have to walk around holding up the rifle.
The weakness of this setup is that the thermal image you see through the 14 ... is not nearly as detailed as the image you see through a MKIII TEO unit so the distances at which you can quickly PID are dramatically reduced. You have to rely more on observing movement, depending on the critters.
Another strength is one of your eyes is free and so your peripheral vision is stronger.

H8x1f6o.jpg

==
Second combination is ATN ODIN, 17mm, 1x, 320(30) on dual mount beside PVS-14. This is my favorite as it supports much greater distances for PID. I have PID a yote moving at 500yds while rolling on 4-wheeler. I have detected cattle out to 1200 yds. They were "blobs" but I knew they were cattle due to the number, the distribution on the land and because I already knew what cattle are on that land.
Your eyes can still look around the NODs to give you peripheral vision, but the brightness of the NODs needs to be reduced. I turn down the thermal brightness and the 14 brightness to the minimal useable based on conditions. Also, with the flir core in the ODIN by looking up and little more or down a little more that effectively adjusts the brightness (hands free brightness adjustment). I also use amber filters on the backends of both the thermal and the 14.

5s51s3p.jpg

==
Being able to detect the critters while moving, handsfree, is useful for me, perhaps not for most. I actually think it is safer for me to drive (4-wheeler) with the ODIN/14 setup because in some conditions (extreme dark) the thermal can see the terrain better. In many conditions, the 14 can see the terrain better. But having both, makes me feel safer. The PAS-29/14 is a little "scarier" because with the ODIN/14 combo I can turn on or off either NOD by using by eyelids. I cannot do that with the PAS-29/14 combo. And further the PAS-29/14 combo sometimes decides it needs to auto increase the gain on the thermal and I'm still not 100% used to that when driving.
Life is full of tradeoffs!
==
All this said, I expect anyone else who comments to say they use 14 on head for navigation and thermal handheld on lanyard around neck for spotting. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Some complain of headaches when looking thru thermal for a long while ... hence not good on head. For me the solution has been reducing the brightness ... and a filter on the back (either green or amber will work) helps a LOT with that.

Last edited:

Al Hamilton

Mostly for navigating and detection. NV on helmets is usually Infrared and not magnified. the PVS 7 uses two eyes PVS 14 uses one eye. I am leaning towards the one eye as being more pratical. will need an IR illumination device of some sort.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i use my 14's helmet mounted for driving mostly. Now and then for walking also. My thermal handheld is around my neck and used for scanning. Cannot use it for driving as civilian thermal will not work well thru glass. On my rifle I have thermal moun ted armasight I also have a laser that I can use for critters with me helmet mounter 14. I only use dual 14's while driving. not walking. I like having the other eye to see terrain right in front of me.

I have IR illumination lughts on my yruck and they work great, I can see about half the size of a football field with my 14's. I also have great SF IR combo handheld lights.

Rookie

LSB Member
To add some more information...

I wouldn't be using this for driving - strictly for walking/scanning. I don't know if that would change anyone's suggestions or not, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Last edited: