Hello from the leading commercial pork state--Iowa

DaveM

It is funny that I'm in the swine products industry, in the leading pork producing state, but I've been wanting for some time to hunt feral pig. This year, I want to actively start adding ferals to my "gotta hunt" list maybe once or twice a year. I've got family in Dallas (metro area proper) to visit, then get out and give my bow, AR, or .270 a workout. I also actively exterminate coyote up in Iowa during the winter months, and whatever deer present themselves on the land I have access to in a specific year. I prefer to butcher/skin my own game--that is part of a what I call an authentic, ethical hunt. I don't hunt for trophies either, but something to fill the freezer for awhile.

Yeah, I know that I can buy a "hunt" on several properties in Texas, but a "hunt" where they all but introduce you to the animal before they tell it to step 50 yards out and smile, rubs me the absolute wrong way. I also want to make friends and acquaintances while hunting--the comradery is all part of what makes the experience special. The thought of being just another hunting client hunting the same 500 acres that 6 people a day have hunted for weeks, doesn't work for me.

I know I can hunt hog on public land in Texas, but the thought of controlling an invasive species to benefit farmers has its own reward, and it would enhance the experience.

The challenge is finding out how to make connections! Lots of websites tell you to inquire with all the Texas county ag extension offices, get landowner names with hog problems, then start contacting those names one at a time. I'd really like to find a way to make connections with other hog hunters themselves, and just join a couple hunts that were going to take place anyway--even better if it is to stop farm damage. In turn, I'm happy to schlep equipment, pay for gas, food, bait, beer after the hunt, etc.

I don't mind walking hunts during the daytime either, or being part of a driving line for other hunters--we do that all the time for coyotes up here in wooded areas.

I'm not sure this is even the right group to join, but I figured questions are free. My question is how to best find hunters that are committed to feral hog hunting and willing to have a stranger join the group for a couple of days.

FWIW, I'm 56, and hunt with my 17 year-old.

Any hints of how to make good connections would be appreciated!

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the group. I think you will fit in just fine.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to LSB

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to pork central! For years I always wanted to turn loose some porkers up there?!! In no time at all y’all could call us and then we could come up and help whack them!!:) we ran 300 sow farrow to finish back in the day. Turned a couple loose but they just hung around? BANG BANG!!