hello from south africa

nishon

Hi guys!
I'm from south africa.I love hunting and now I'm really interested in hunting bushpig.I hunt with a parker hale 30-06 and a howa .243 in bull barrel.would really appreciate the advise in bushpig hunting.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! I'm not sure about bush pig but I'm sure they can't be to much different. Some if thee tactics here should work!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to ya... what a treat, being able to hunt the dark continent !!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome. A friend of mine has hunted Africa a few times and took a good bush pig last time he was out. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it and post it up. Look forward to hearing your hunting adventures.

nishon

Thanks guys.bushpig are not very much different but they are extremely smart.its much difficult hunting them here in south africa as they are not restricted to land size and they have so much to eat especially in sugar cane plantations so baiting these guys don't mean you going to get them.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys.bushpig are not very much different but they are extremely smart.its much difficult hunting them here in south africa as they are not restricted to land size and they have so much to eat especially in sugar cane plantations so baiting these guys don't mean you going to get them.
I don't know about bush pigs but our wild hogs it seems, can have all they need available to them to eat but, put out some golden nuggets of death and they cant resist. Its kinda like sprinkling Kit Kats around .

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the Forum, will be interesting to hear and see your adventures! I will have to look up bush pig and see the difference w our hogs.

Seems they are not the product as ours of domestic descent, sounders are run by a dominate male instead of a sow, 250lbs is a big one so they run a bit smaller. Same tendencies and destructive nature as ours. Basically a wild pig as opposed to feral...I would think they can be hunted the same. Your bait would be whatever is local to them not necessarily what we use, but hunting the beast seems very similar. Sound entertaining and probably very good to eat.

Last edited:

nishon

Bushpig(one word) are really aggresive animals on our side of the world.they grow up to 150-200 kilos although rare.the do attack hunters and I have met up witha few hunters that have had their legs ripped,hands bit and a few that had to literally run up a tree when chased by a bushpig.I'm quite confused when I see pics of hog in America taken during the day,bushpig here are nocturnal.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have more predators hunting at night than we do here. Well... you have more predator animal species there too.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bushpig(one word) are really aggresive animals on our side of the world.they grow up to 150-200 kilos although rare.the do attack hunters and I have met up witha few hunters that have had their legs ripped,hands bit and a few that had to literally run up a tree when chased by a bushpig.I'm quite confused when I see pics of hog in America taken during the day,bushpig here are nocturnal.

You know the thing about pigs in general is that they adapt so while. Like so many, they may have primary activity periods, but do fine in other periods. Sure, we have pics of our hogs in daylight, but the often get hunted at night because that is when the are now most active in many areas. They are most active then because that is when they are safest, like your bushpigs.

Our deer are diurnal as well, but we see most of their activity, especially the big bucks, at night in many areas, too. It is when they are safest.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nishon, you have some pictures of the areas you hunt?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the forum!!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, you definitely get the long distance member award!!

Welcome to the site.