Hello From San Antonio, Texas

TexasSafety

Hello Group

Just wanted to say Hello my friends call me TJ. I'm just looking for a hog hunting group or place in South Texas.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray.

TexasSafety

Thanks. This heat wave in Texas is a killer this week.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome from northeast Texas

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Greetings, Salutations, Proclamations, and good ole hearty Howdy!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First off, thanks for taking the time to find us, signing up with another yet another damn username and password, and leaving a note.

After clicking a few links, you may notice that inquiries and stories by new members generate fairly rapid and encouraging responses…

With the notable exception of the question you reasonably asked.

THE Big Question:

“How do I find a place to hunt?”

Please don’t interpret our silence as rudeness. It’s just that there’s no straightforward easy answer.

And we’ve addressed this issue many times over the years, usually to the dissatisfaction (and occasional disbelief) of the inquirer.

We are glad to provide (way too much) advice on tactics, weaponry, night optics and many other topics tenuously related to hog hunting.

However…the underlying presumption is that you have already obtained the Holy Grail: A place to hunt in Texas.

And without that, all the billy badass gear is for naught. (Kinda like having your own private plane. But no airspace).

I know… lotta states up to the north and west of us offer millions upon millions of acres of public land to hunt.

Now, we view owning firearms and bearing them as an inalienable right; using them hunt is closer to a privilege.

The reason is that the vast majority of the Lone Star State is privately owned.

That’s the why the Academy clerk stares at you blankly when you ask where the game camera lock boxes are.

A careful eye will note a few other subtle clues, such as the lack of orange vests and the presence of purple trees.

If you don’t know what purple paint down here signifies, I recommend you either do a little research or wear a flak vest when wandering into the roadside brush to take a leak.

(But folks are generally friendly here; they’ll figger you’re colorblind and prescribe a little high velocity rock salt as the cure).

There is a justifiable frustration with the dichotomy of landowners bellyaching about hog damage and their willingness to let someone with a gun hit the gate and have a whack at the perpetrators.

This is also understandable; you probably want your house secured, but aren't fond of the idea of armed strangers roaming the halls at night. (I like analogies).

TPWD (Gawd bless ‘em) loves to brag of the opportunities to hunt on state land; the unfortunate reality is that luck and money are involved there as well:

Drawn Hunts - Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

So....

The absolute best way to get hunting land in Texas to have good genes and be born into a land owning family.

The second best way is to look good in jeans and marry into a land owning family.

After that, it’s pretty much cash, luck, and persistence. In that order, arguably.

And being willing and able to provide more than just a trigger finger.

I got on my primary hunting grounds about nine years ago after telling at least 100 people that I was looking for a place to hog and coyote hunt.

Turns out that was the easy part:
How to maintain and expand hunting privileges on a property | Lone Star Boars

A lease? Maybe...

Even if you are able and willing to lay out a good amount of cold hard cash for a lease, there is certainly no guarantee that you’ll get the treatment and opportunity that you deserve.

With all that said...

There is an immense amount of information on this site to gear you up for the day you secure that airspace and are cleared for takeoff.

Thanks for coming by to see us – we truly hope you will stay around.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still the greatest writer this side of that ole' misssisisiippppsisi..i