Hello from Georgetown

dust

A member on Sniper's Hide posted a link here, and after deciding I needed a new dedicated pig hunting forum, I thought I would join up. I've only been pig hunting once, on a pay to hunt place that didn't turn out well. That said, I would rather shoot a pig than a deer right now. Getting a Chinese SKS ready for duty with new body parts and glass, and also looking for suggestions on a pistol for just in case. We have a 38, 357, 380, 9, 40, 45 with the right ammo, but don't know which would be the best for carrying. I am most accustomed to the 9, but have been shooting the 45 lately. I know the wheelgun 38 or 357 would be "better" in case of a jam, but I just haven't gotten along with the ones we have. I'm also not against picking up a 10mm if factory ammo would do better than current choices.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum! For the pistol the .45, .40, or the .357 should work fine. I've put plenty down with the .45 acp.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
The 9mm and the .40 are supersonic, the .45 is subsonic. The 9mm and .40 are traveling at much higher speeds than the .45, and even though the weight of the round does play a role, the speed of the round at impact matters as well. (Most rifle rounds are in calibers smaller than the 9mm even, yet they are more devastating on impact and a large part of why this is true is because they are traveling at much higher velocities i.e.)

I would prefer the 10mm over the .40, but 10mm ammo is really expensive and hard to come by(I don't reload), not to mention, it could be argued that the 10mm may be slightly overpowered.

I have fired a 1911 and the subsonic aspect was a real turn off for me because the range was really terrible. With the .45, hitting something at 40 yds was very difficult because I had to aim way up and hope the round fell on the target. Doing the same distance with a 9mm or a .40 is not very difficult, I have to aim a little high but it was more akin to aiming at the head to hit the chest than aiming at the clouds and hoping it landed on their head like with the .45.

In short, the . 40 is a good over-all fit for me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!
I carry a Glock 19, with the right ammo and 15-17 rds, I feel comfortable...especially w my 6.8 AR there too...LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome. I carry a 40 s&w pistol as backup. Only because that is what I carry for self defense too.

Id like to hear how your SKS rebuild is going. Will you make a thread in the gun section?

dust

Afalex1, i just posted a thread in the gun section. I am thinking about sending out the guts for work before I start putting the stuff together. I've been trying to get a Yugo up and running, but can't get it consistent enough for me to go hunting with it.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. I choose a 45 just because out of all my pistols I shoot my 1911 the best under pressure. When it comes down to it you gotta hit what your aiming at. Odds are if I have to use my pistol it is because a animal is charging me and at point blank range any caliber will do short of a 22.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why not an AR Pistol? LOL Me? Either a 1911, or my "686" .357 for back-up.