Hello All!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was just introduced to the site from a fellow hog hunter, and he said I should join the form.

Briefly, Im a transplant from Minnesota, and now work for a hay farmer who farms just over 1000 acres east of austin. As you all know the hogs love to tear up the hay fields, especially after it rains. Not to mention we have close to 700 acres with irrigation keeping the hayfields growing in July & August, and the ground wet for the hogs to play in.

Long story short I was introduced to hog hunting when we were working on clearing a new section of land for the hay business. A group of hogs started crossing the field as several of us were running plows and rakes preparing the soil for planting. I happened to be in a polaris gathering the larger bits and pieces of wood that was still in the field. Then I got the call from the owner. I made a mad dash to a co-workers truck for his 12 gauge, stuffed 1/2 a box of buck shot into my pockets and made a b-line back to the new clearing.

Not seeing any hogs in the field I started looking along the tree line, and spotted another group of them, 25 or so yards away. I took aim at one, and let the buck shot fly. The shot hit right behind the head, just in front of the shoulder, and the 150 lb female dropped right in her tracks. I was hooked.

Not wanting to be limited to the short range of a 12 gauge, I asked everyone and anyone what gun they would suggest. People suggested everything between a .17 and a 7 mm. I didn't grow up hunting anything and other then taking a gun safety class when I was young, I've never even owned a gun.

Long story short, I decided on an AR-15, the .223 ammo is cheap, and I liked the idea of the semi-auto and being able to throw more lead in less time considering my lack of experience. Several weeks have passed since the purchase and I now also have a rem .270

I look forward to everyones stories and info. As its been a blast to walk the hayfields at night, and Id like to improve my tactics.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was just introduced to the site from a fellow hog hunter, and he said I should join the form.

Briefly, Im a transplant from Minnesota, and now work for a hay farmer who farms just over 1000 acres east of austin. As you all know the hogs love to tear up the hay fields, especially after it rains. Not to mention we have close to 700 acres with irrigation keeping the hayfields growing in July & August, and the ground wet for the hogs to play in.

Long story short I was introduced to hog hunting when we were working on clearing a new section of land for the hay business. A group of hogs started crossing the field as several of us were running plows and rakes preparing the soil for planting. I happened to be in a polaris gathering the larger bits and pieces of wood that was still in the field. Then I got the call from the owner. I made a mad dash to a co-workers truck for his 12 gauge, stuffed 1/2 a box of buck shot into my pockets and made a b-line back to the new clearing.

Not seeing any hogs in the field I started looking along the tree line, and spotted another group of them, 25 or so yards away. I took aim at one, and let the buck shot fly. The shot hit right behind the head, just in front of the shoulder, and the 150 lb female dropped right in her tracks. I was hooked.

Not wanting to be limited to the short range of a 12 gauge, I asked everyone and anyone what gun they would suggest. People suggested everything between a .17 and a 7 mm. I didn't grow up hunting anything and other then taking a gun safety class when I was young, I've never even owned a gun.

Long story short, I decided on an AR-15, the .223 ammo is cheap, and I liked the idea of the semi-auto and being able to throw more lead in less time considering my lack of experience. Several weeks have passed since the purchase and I now also have a rem .270

I look forward to everyones stories and info. As its been a blast to walk the hayfields at night, and Id like to improve my tactics.

Glad you made it - great intro. Wonder if you've earned a shotgunner's trophy...

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. Most of us on here prefer a larger caliber than the 5.56. It can do the job, but shot placement is more critical ... you just have less room for error than something with a little more umph.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and hope you can learn and share here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
howdy slim

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. You should check out the 6.8 SPC II for Deer and Hogs
I just got a 7.62x39 Sig (AK) today! Took it to the range, its a cannon compared to the .223 and they gave me a great deal on the trade!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just built a X39 AR and use the Hornady 123SST and the S&B 123 SP for hunting, I think both will be effective to 150 yds.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had thought about using the AR platform and ordering a Windham 762 upper, the owner of the gun shop said not to if I planned on using the cheap steel cased ammo. Which I am. I have a case of Hollow Point on order for $0.30 a round. He stated the AK was made for the steel cased ammo, and explained the difference between the mechanics of how the AK works compared to the AR, Had I know then what I know now I never would have gone with the AR in the first place. Good thing was I only lost $50 on the AR. Not only all of this, they carry a large range of silencers, and just worked out a deal with a night vision & thermal distributor. I'm on my way to my dream hog gun!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well good luck!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the site and contact me with any firearm needs. Be careful, pig hunting is an addiction. Lol.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had thought about using the AR platform and ordering a Windham 762 upper, the owner of the gun shop said not to if I planned on using the cheap steel cased ammo. Which I am. I have a case of Hollow Point on order for $0.30 a round. He stated the AK was made for the steel cased ammo, and explained the difference between the mechanics of how the AK works compared to the AR, Had I know then what I know now I never would have gone with the AR in the first place. Good thing was I only lost $50 on the AR. Not only all of this, they carry a large range of silencers, and just worked out a deal with a night vision & thermal distributor. I'm on my way to my dream hog gun!
Better check the shocks, you are in for a rough ride.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the gun shop owner sold you what he had on hand and instead of knowing what he was talking about and decided the path to easy $$ was the target in front of him... to put it politely. But it is what it is and you are in the right place now and the good thing is our advice is free and very experienced.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
+1 the two previous folks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I like this young man, all of us were there one time and it burns my ass when gun stores treat people like this...Sorry just mad as hell

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the gun shop owner sold you what he had on hand and instead of knowing what he was talking about and decided the path to easy $$ was the target in front of him... to put it politely. But it is what it is and you are in the right place now and the good thing is our advice is free and very experienced.

OK. Whats wrong with the 762x39 round and a sig 556r. Are we taking opinion & personal preference?