Hearing protection

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I know a lot of people here use suppressed rifles but for those who don't....

When you hunt do you use hearing protection? If so what kind?

I used to have a pair of electronic earmuffs but they are far too bulky so I just stopped using them. For a while I had the ear plugs on a string. I had them around my neck and would put them in if I thought of it.

For you hunters who are shooting multiple hogs, do you wear them? If your only going to fire 1 shot its not so bad but if you mag dump it would get rather loud

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never did. I have the electric all the way down to the simple foam plugs. They all bug me after an hour or so. I do wear the electric ones as ear muffs on below freezing nights!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate wearing them so the only time I do anymore is at the range. I have yet to find good electronic ear plugs instead of muffs

Froggerzack

Diana, TX (East TX)
The electronic muffs do get warm with extended use but the amplify ambient noise so that's a plus. Walkers game ears are out there but I could not tell you how good or bad they are. Surefire make a passive ear plug system but I'm not sure on their effectiveness but you won't be out of a lot of money with those.

For me I just turn my hearing aids off and start blasting away!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never use any hearing protection while hunting. On the range I use the sonic plastic plugs ( my ear holes are to small to use the R. Lee Ermy method of a .45ACP round in each ear).

I have some 380 brass you can try lol

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use Peltor 6s (nrr 19?, Peltor Comtacs (nrr ~20), and Howard Leight's Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro muffs (nrr 30) . I use a non-traditional cheek weld and so can even with the Leights despite their grand size.

Most of the time, I just have them sitting on my head (warmer months). In the winter, I wear them all the time to stay warm. I cover my ears before shooting.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go to a motorcycle show in your area and get fitted for custom fit ear plugs. They run about $100... but, I can wear mine ALL day long while riding and remain comfy with 'em in ! They put the mold material in your ears, you sit still with your jaw relaxed for a spell while it sets up, and they use the cured material to make the molds and they send you rubber(ish) ear plugs a couple of weeks later. Mine have "pop in/out" lanyards included. I've had mine for about 10yrs now.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a pair of those from sturgis. Problem is still being able to hear while sitting and waiting then having hearing protection when you are going to shoot. Sadly without going electronic there doesn't seem to be a simple solution

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I try to remember to put the plugs in before I shoot but seldom do. You cannot wear them while hunting but when you take the shot, I hope to remember.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yep, that is a sign that your ears have toughened up. It is also a sign that you may not be able to hear the coos of your baby or grandbaby.
Ive never had good hearing, but I lost most of my hearing before I was 19. Got a long way to go before I am going to wear hearing aids though.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I am shooting my 6.8 during hunting no plugs, but anything bigger than that the game ears come into play.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know shooting my 338 spectre I don't need hearing protection. I haven't shot much else without it though. Hunting with the 458 socom I had my electronic. I was always afraid that would cause some hearing damage

Crowebar

LSB Member
ESP fitted ear plugs are expensive but hands down the best I have ever used. Customer service is great and mine have lasted 5 years with no problem.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WHAT?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use electronic muffs. I keep them attached to a strap on my chest rig while driving to find hogs. When I spur hogs I stop my helmet, put on the muffs, and out the helmet back on. I can do this while I'm stalking in and not slow down much. They aren't too bulky so they don't alter my stock weld much at all and they actually enhance my hearing a little. Albiet, in a limited frequency range. Without muffs i couldn't bare to shoot my 6.8 sbr unsuppressed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just shoot game w no hearing protection, always forget to put the plugs in before the shot or shots..at the range I always wear protection plugs and/or muffs

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, I use electronic muffs to help make up for some of what has been already lost.

Hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible.