Hazelnut Syrup - FAIL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We had a bottle of this stuff as a coffee sweetener. We got it because our friends love the stuff. It has a pungent sweet odor and smells great! We didn't like it, however. So my wife was going to throw it away. I thought, "Sweet flavor, sweet smell, something yummy, the hogs might like it!"

I have two feeders at my place about 50 yards apart. Surprisingly, the hogs will sometimes go to one and not the other. Depending on wind and such, sometimes one is better to hunt than the other. So I have wanted them to make it out to the foodplot feeder more. I do have hogs coming, but they are spending more time at the other feeder and that isn't as convenient right now. So on Friday morning, I dumped out about 10 lbs of corn on the ground under the food plot feeder and poured half a bottle of the stuff over it and mixed it around.

Friday night, I got one image of a hog smelling the area, but not getting too close. Several deer came in and ate from the pile, but the hog was there for one snap and went to the other feeder and stayed on camera for the better part of a couple of hours.

Saturday night, a different hog came in, appears to have gotten to with a few feet of the hazelnut corn, and then went to the other feeder.

As an attractant, hazelnut syrup is a FAIL

As a retardant, hazelnut syrups is a SUCCESS

chthump

LSB Member
They'll eat a snakes, grubs under cattle dung, but don't like hazelnut, that is interesting.

edit (dang iphone)

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I am not a fan of special recipes and have tried a lot of them. I am still hopeful of finding something that I can test and say works. Usually, most don't seem to perform better than regular old corn, but hazelnut actually seems to be drive off the hogs. Maybe they don't like hazelnut. Maybe they don't like something new under the feeder. I don't know, but this has been a definite negative reaction.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you sure it wasn't the monk with rope around his waist that spooked them?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was trapping full time, I would go to the feed store with a 5 gal. bucket and buy molasses in bulk. Mixed it with corn and sometimes oats depending where I was trapping. It worked good in some areas and other places not very good at all.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was trapping full time, I would go to the feed store with a 5 gal. bucket and buy molasses in bulk. Mixed it with corn and sometimes oats depending where I was trapping. It worked good in some areas and other places not very good at all.

Funny how that works. I think some hogs are just plain picky.

D

djones

years ago a couple buds put out sweet feed (horse and mule molasses feed). i've always thought that was the most desired food on the planet for hogs. herd got downwind of it, stuck their noses in the air, turned around and ran off. just figured it was new and strange. however, i bait with peanuts in places where they've never had any and it worked. pigs are just strange.