Havalon Knives

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
These are not really knives but surgical instruments. they have skinning and filet blades that are surgical steel replaceable...no sharpening

I can do 2-3 hogs w 1 blade deer are no match and all you need is 1 blade for an elk. I hate sharpening a knife only to need to resharpen half way thru an animal. The key is not to cut the skin or hit bone w the blade, use it for skinning after opening it up.

These get my highest recommendation! Still need to get me a Baracuta, would like to get all 3 sets of blades, Remember guys these are Sharp!!

This is the one I use the Piranta

Then for larger hand or jobs the Baracuta is the real deal

The Baracuta even has a bone saw blade

These are an important part of my field butchering kit below is most of the rest!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those look nice! The hogs seem to dull the knives faster because of all the dirt in their hide.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I use the hook blade blue knife to open them up, it is for linoleum and 2 ended also replaceable when dull. Since we eat all the hogs we kill it pays to have to tools to make butchering easier.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've eyeballed those knives (first, while in Kodiak). Yup, cutting hair trashes an edge fast. They're almost like a scalpel.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What did I tell you guys about knives! LOL I like these knives

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I recently saw a guy use a shorter blade filet knife to butcher and bone out an entire deer while hanging so I have added one of those to the mix also.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I never use the Havalon for the hide unless it is from the inside, I have skinned a hog with the hook blade but not recommended. That bear claw looks mean!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
With the blunt tip it works better than any gut hook I have ever used. Its awesome!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good knives. The pirana uses t-60 scalpel blades, you can buy boxes of 100+ blades easily.

We use these for work all the time to collect biological samples from deer and other animals. Like mentioned earlier, they dull quickly if used on hair or on the outer part of the hide. If used as Frank described, they will last substantially longer. If you are going to use these to cape an animal be very careful as you can accidentally make a slit in the hide very quickly if you are not careful. You must also take care to not twist or bend the blade while cutting because the are very thin and can break.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AND when you cut yourself, you are cut, not nicked...lol Good thing is a scalpel cuts clean and heals quickly.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
A much better knife than the Havalon is the new Gerber Vital. Can be had as a folder or fixed blade. The blades are interchangeable with the Piranta and can be bought for about $28 for folder or so on eBay.

I was using the Piranta, but since getting the Gerber Vital folder, haven't used the Havalon. The grip is much more user friendly and ergonomic than the Havalon.

The Vital is a simple push button to change the blades, whereas the Havalon is hard to push up in the back is the blade and have to be careful not to slip.

Vital-Fixed-Blade_fulljpg.jpg

gerber-vital-pack-knife-and-replacement-blades.jpg

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
also, if you do buy the gerber, it doesn't come with a sheath, but fits perfectly in a Piranta sheath which there are a bunch of the nylon ones on ebay that you also carry spare blades

the other thing, buy the havalon 60XT blades for it, they are much sharper than the Gerber blades and can be bought for just under $30 for a 100 pack