HARD CHARGING Called Hog, only it was camouflaged...

Discussion in 'Hunting Videos' started by Brian Shaffer, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Okay, I borrowed "hard charging" from Glenn Guess. :D The oats are too tall for me to see into them. I know there are going to be hogs there, but I can't see anything. When I would see deer, it was only when they would periscope their heads above the stalks to look around and then I would lose them as well when their heads ducked back down. So I set up and watched the recently planted hay field next to the oats, set up a caller, and tried to pull hogs either out of the creek bottoms in front of me or from the oats off to the left. The hard charger came from the left.

I actually saw it come through the fence at 360 yards and watched it with my handheld for a hundred yards or so before deciding that I needed to get on my rifle. I didn't know what it was, but it was coming quick!

It sort of looked like a skunk, but was moving WAY too fast. It looked like a coyote. It was obviously smaller than the distant deer. I could see a long fluffy tail behind it, but it didn't look right. Maybe a big fox? In real time, lots of things are going through your head the situation continues to change. Then it got to the caller, turned slightly and slowed and that it when I could see the head shape and tell it was a hog.

Somewhere earlier in the evening, that hog has gone into water and it looks like it submerged everything but its head and top of its neck. That part remained hot and the rest of the body was cooler and gave the wrong visual clues. Then I was so surprised by the coyote/fox morphing into a hog I almost forgot that I needed to shoot it, LOL.

2. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

That’s pretty cool!

Brian Shaffer likes this.
  3. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Interesting! I can see how the image created initial confusion.
    Nice shot on a moving target. Keep After 'Em!

4. J BAR K

J BAR K Just trying to make a day. SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Almost looked like a fin in the water! Maybe some “Jaws “ music in the background would have been appropriate. Good shooting in the tall oats!

5. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Yehaw! One factory out of commission, is cause for a happy dance. Good job of staying with her to finally get that identifying angle to confirm it's time to let 'er fly. Deceiving to the eye in camo like that.

6. lonepunman

lonepunman LSB Active Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

A solid reminder to those who say, "If I only had a thermal, I would know exactly what was out there."

Brian has seen thousands of animals in a wide range of terrain and weather conditions, and still faced a challenge in positively identifying that beast.

der Teufel and gshock like this.
  7. gshock

gshock Banned Member! SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Always good to double check!

8. gshock

gshock Banned Member! SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Good hog down! I thought that hog was a coyote even when you shot it!

9. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well, that would have been OK, if it was a coyote and not actually the owner's border collie.

gshock likes this.
  10. txhunter

txhunter New Member

Do you run the trijicon on 30hz to maximize battery or 60hz?

11. Brian Shaffer

60hz in order to do video. Plus, I run an external battery.