Hall County Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got invited out to hunt over in Hall County. This had been in the works for a while before I was finally able to get away and the wait turned out to be worthwhile.

I could not believe it. We got on the first set of hogs and David started the count down to fire and as he started counting, the adrenaline dumped. You can watch it happen. The wobble spins up and then I jumped the shot ahead of the count. I had plenty of time for adrenaline to dump before that, but it wasn't until the last moment that it happened.

The second night was much more productive.

No necropsy this time, but I did get some new results with the Berger VLD-Hunting ammo. I shot three hogs. On the smallest (~160 lbs...estimated from the larger 180 lb hog next to it), the bullet passed through on a broadside shot, as expected. The broadside shot on the running 180 hog did not exit, however, and there I would expect it to happen. The coup de grace shot was down the long axis of the body and did not exit. On the largest hog (225 lbs), neither the first shot or the broadside finishing shot (off camera) during the walk up managed to exit. These Berger bullets almost always exit and have on all previous broadside and quartering shots and on hogs bigger in size than these, so the result is a bit surprising. No doubt that the more you shoot with a given round, more of the unusual results will appear.

I am not a great tracker of blood trails, but on the shot that did overpenetrate, the hog ran and ran well. It was a blood trail that could just about be followed in the dark with no lights. The only problem was that the hog make it to some thick brush. I followed the trail into the brush until passage required crawling on hands and knees and after encountering rattlesnakes earlier in the day, that just wasn't going to happen.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I usually hunt solo and do a lotta deep breathing before choosing my shot; there's a lot of extra pressure with a countdown.

Solid trigger work at the feeder!

Great video and commentary. Particularly interesting to see the abandoning hog's reaction to his fallen comrade; makes me wonder if he would have taken the others with him had he been seen bolting...

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt Brian. The blood spewing out of that unrecovered hog was cool. There's no doubt it's dead.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Glad the weather abated so you guys could hunt, pretty nasty weather out that way earlier in the week.

Tell David I said Hey!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job on the hogs - you know that blood pumper ran dry not far away from the video recorder. Door nail dead. Can't say I blame you for not wanting to go crawling around with rattlers !

Dennis

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always good to gain more experience hunting a new area... Looks like you are on and good hogs down.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Yeah, that was impressive spray on the one you didn't recover. Buzzards no doubt found him later.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent hunt Brian. Big blood spray pumping out. I wouldn't wanna be crawlin' 'round with rattlers either... no way. TBPS meat.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way cool stuff!! With the amount of splat coming off that one you would figure it would have been dead!! They do take some punishment and keep on going though! Nice going! BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I figure I was less than 40 yards from where the hemophiliac hog crashed. I heard it make noise from my shooting position up on the bluff. Even if I found, recovery would have been nearly impossible. If I was worried about crawling in forward, you can darn sure bet I was more worried about crawling out backward, dragging a hog with me!

Man, shooting from bluffs overlooking a valley is cool! I had not been able to see the action shoot from that high up before.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It looks like it was well worth the drive!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video and hunt Brian as usual. Having that vantage point is pretty cool..reminds me of the super tall deer stand I hunt in real co.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video Brian my favorite was the ping was back no the hog flip. You should get extra point for a hog flip.

D

djones

west texas??? where's the desert?

that adrenaline can be tough. sometimes i throw up in my mouth a little during the countdown.

another fan of the flip here!!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting Brian, especially on the runner. Can't believe that sucker ran so far losing that kind of blood. I love those elevated positions. Growing up I had a hill overlooking a 72 acre oat field, I called it my sniper perch. The ole .270 reached out and touched some from there. Congrats on the new hunting grounds, hope you get to go back and get after the rest of them, looks target rich.