Guided a friend with thermal ...

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Guided one of my friend who has been out to the ranch several time but haven't been able to down a hog.

First hog - we scanned a field and I saw a group in the distance. I handed the thermal over to my friend who said "there is a hog right there". I was thinking to myself "I don't remember seeing a hog" then I looked again and he was about 30 yards away. He must of just walked into the field while I was scanning.

My friend shot and the boar ran off ... he was able to get a few more shots off and the hog finally fell. Using a 6.8 with SSTs.

Second hog - we walked about half a mile to another field and saw a hog at the fence line. He/she was just laying down, I thought it was a dead hog until it's ear twitched. We stalked a bit closer and the hog started walking off. I scanned again and noticed that another bigger boar came in and must of spooked the other boar. He started rooting around where the other hog was laying. My friend got ready and made a good shot. DRT. Pretty color on this boar ... looks to be around 215 or so.

Edited pics to remove his face ... from his request.

Enjoy and thanks for reading!

First hog ... looks to be around 150lbs
hog1.jpg

Second hog ... looks to be around 215
hog2.jpg hog3.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have to admit to not enjoying guiding as much as I thought I would. good for you putting him on the hogs

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job. I like taking friends/family members on hunts though it can be tricky with the equipment trying to explain enough without overloading them with info and worrying about the equipment.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All three of them are nice hogs. Nice going and I bet you friend was one happy hogger!! Nice going. BANG BANG!!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I commend you – for those of us who rarely have time to hunt, it is definitely a gift to let a less experienced hunter else behind the scope. This is especially true when we also provide the hunting grounds.

During the last hunt I guided, I called up a coyote at forty yards - spotted him with a PS-24 and then lit him up with a red light. My friend lacked experience in night shooting, and missed a fairly easy shot with his AR. And then forgot his trigger finger still worked for the second shot.

I was deeply disappointed to have lost and educated a coyote, but when he looked up and exclaimed, "That was thrilling!", it reminded me how much fun it was just to be out in the wild at night.

Moments like that come rarely, and sometimes never, to those who lack the equipment, experience or opportunity to hunt.

I'm certain your name will be well spoken of for years to come...

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I commend you – for those of us who rarely have time to hunt, it is definitely a gift to let a less experienced hunter else behind the scope. This is especially true when we also provide the hunting grounds.

During the last hunt I guided, I called up a coyote at forty yards - spotted him with a PS-24 and then lit him up with a red light. My friend lacked experience in night shooting, and missed a fairly easy shot with his AR. And then forgot his trigger finger still worked for the second shot.

I was deeply disappointed to have lost and educated a coyote, but when he looked up and exclaimed, "That was thrilling!", it reminded me how much fun it was just to be out in the wild at night.

Moments like that come rarely, and sometimes never, to those who lack the equipment, experience or opportunity to hunt.

I'm certain your name will be well spoken of for years to come...

well said lonepun!